1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Online says I am using a cheating device when I don't have cheats activated

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by GuyInAHat, Feb 27, 2007.

1. GuyInAHat

GuyInAHat Member

I'm using Swap Magic 3.8 (that's the coder one) and I start the game with no cheats. When I connect online, the DNAS is fine, but I can't play because it says it has detected a cheating device.

I tried burning SM 3.6 to a disc but it didn't read. I think the ELF file it came with has something to do with something, but I'm not so sure.

Is there some type of patch around this or some other method besides using the original disc?

2. ace1GB

ace1GB Guest

Its because you're trying to play a backup online with a game that has server protection checks. My guess is that its the US version of one of the SOCOM games, which, its widely known, you cant play online from a backup. You'll need to buy it if you want to play online.

3. GuyInAHat

GuyInAHat Member

The game is actually Ratchet and Clank 3: Up your Arsenal. I can be original if I try.

4. ace1GB

ace1GB Guest

Had to be a Sony game, so I wasnt too far away. Most US Sony online games now use the same protection. Its because cheating is a major problem in the US, and the protection thinks the backup/swap magic is a cheat device because of the change detected in the boot code.
    Thankfully, PAL versions arent protected in the same way, because we dont have such a big problem with people cheating online.