1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Only half of my RAM is being utilized, worked before

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by urponator, Apr 1, 2015.

1. urponator

urponator Member

My computer was slow to POST (about 1 or 2 minutes) and slowly booting (about a minute to minute and half even though I have the system on SSD), well it turned out to be my webcam, I removed the USB-plug and it started working again...
    But since the webcam is old and I tried removing my new USB headset already, I also tried to remove my RAM before disconnecting other USBs.
    So after gazillion CMOS resets, reboots and reattachments of the memories the computer now utilizes only half of it, even though they worked before.
    Both pairs (I have two 8 GB kits) work separately, but not together. In BIOS' "Asus SPD information" the mobo does recognize both pairs, but still BIOS, POST and Windows show I have 8 GB of RAM.

Specs:
    Mobo: Asus P8H67
    Memory: 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1333MHz and 2x4 GB HyperX Savage 1600MHz
    CPU: Intel i5-3550 @ 3.3 GHz
    Running Windows 7 64-bit from SSD

P.S. I have tried different combinations of sticks and slots. If I stick one of each, its 4 Gb, if I try with 3 sticks its 50-50 4 or 8 (I think the a-slots are first to come).

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try posting with 1 of each type together to see what happens.

3. urponator

urponator Member

I have tried that too, 4 GB.
    When I originally installed the upgrade memory (the 1600) the PC wouldn't give any signal to monitor, but clearing CMOS helped back then... I tried this:
    1.Removed faster sticks and cleared CMOS
    2. ran once to windows
    3. Shutdown
    4. Installed rest of my memory
    5. No signal to monitor
    6. Remembered this is what happened when first time installed my new RAM, back then clearing CMOS was the answer.
    7. Cleared CMOS and booted, still 8 GB of RAM...

4. ddp

what speed is the motherboard capable of running for ram? try manual configuring the ram speed settings in the bios instead of being set for auto. check asus site for bios update for your board.

5. urponator

urponator Member

Officially 1333, but will overclock to 1600 (with auto OC). Tried setting it manually, no help there...
    Then tried BIOS update, no help there neither...
    I think it is strange, since they already worked with full 16 GB for a month or so.

6. ddp

but can the Kingston ram overclock to 1600? both ram kits should have been same speed to begin with before overclocking even tho the 1333 ram was overclocked not the 1600.

7. urponator

urponator Member

Previously mobo underclocked the 1600 MHz to 1333, Now it just won't do it... Could it be some kind of problem in the slots, even cpu-z and SPD information do recognize both kits?

8. ddp

if both cpu-z and SPD recognize both kits then not a slot problem. see if can borrow a friend's ram that has either 1333 or 1600 to be matched with yours to see if boot correctly with right amount of ram.

9. Rondon1

Rondon1 Newbie

Could do with a update if ur using a 32 bit os if your trying to use near the max of your ram and with you sing 2 different types of speed ur ran with not use to its full specs . Some poeple get away with using different speeds with a a 64 bit laptop/pc , 2 choices upgrade if u have a 32bit os or upgrade the ram to bother the same speed 1600 that's what I done once I upgraded to windows 7 home premium 64 bit . Works like a new laptop now .. Ram is pretty cheap , also check your memory activity in task Manager see what's using ur ran up and see what u can do about that . Back ground running programs etc etc . Just a thought buddy worked for me greatly just passing on what I know cheers Z Ronnie ps it's worth having a look at ur hard drive also if it's down to 25% ish degrage won't do much good . Hope it helps dude .

10. ddp

Rondon, re-read urponator's 1st post because it appears you did not. he is using 64bit windows, both kits work on the computer but not with each other so there is a compatibility problem between the 2 kits, webcam was causing the slow down & it is not a hard drive issue.

Rondon1 likes this.
  11. Rondon1

Rondon1 Newbie

My bad got my wires crossed sorry guys . Ronnie