1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Only limited audio and No video from backup, why?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by 420daze, Dec 27, 2004.

1. 420daze

420daze Member

I tried to burn a dvd using DVD shrink but it didn't turn out at all. First I clicked on the analysis icon and let it do its thing for about a half hour. Then i clicked on the backup icon and let it do its thing for alomost a half hour. Suddenly the encoding was done and my dvd drive came to life, as it started to burn it. I was very excited that I, had just burned my first dvd but when I played it, it didn't really do much, no video and only scattered audio. My laptops drive wouldn't recognize the disc at all but the external (burner) drive will. Please help!

Can anyone help?
    Calling all Geniuses! thank you, happy holidays!

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hello daze, what is your burning program. Dvd shrink does not burn, it just compresses. Dvd shrink uses nero,dvd decrypter,and dvd2copy to burn.

What media and how fast are you burning?

What are you trying to backup,original movie,data, or pictures.

You said when you played it,it didn't really do much,no video and scattered audio.

Did you play this backup on your pc,the drive that burned it? Or was it in another pc or stand alone.

Answer these questions and tell us your process of trying to rip and burn this backup.Any info will help

3. 420daze

420daze Member

The discs I'm using are Fuji DVD+R.

The burner drive is a new, external, Memorex capable of writing DVD-R,RW,R9,DL and it's connected to the USB of a Dell Inspiron 600M laptop PC.

The burning software is Nero6 ultra and I'm using it in conjunction with DVD Shrink.

I encountered the problem while trying to burn the movie, Envy.

When I tried to play it back, I first tried to use the drive on my DELL 600M Inspiron, laptop. Then I tried it in the Memorex drive and got the same result. I haven't tried it in my TV/DVD combo yet.

Not sure, what speed I'm burning at. On the box my DVD burner came in it says, it burns DVD+R at 16X but I think the maximum speed, it would let me select was 8X.

Hopes this helps solve the mystery. Thank You

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Go into dvd shrink,edit,preferences, set the target size(9c-5/dv-9) to custom-4300 mbs. Also check these preference settings-File I/O tab,make sure the box is ticked for "enable burn with nero".

Insert the original movie envy in your burner drive,click out all the players that may come up like media player,windvd,llama,etc.

Double click dvd shrink,open disc,let it quickly analyze.

Hit reauthor,drag the main title to the left side of screen.Make sure ac3 ch 5.1 english is selected. Untick the rest.Lets do main movie only to start with.

Hit the BACKUP tab. On this page,leave it region free,leave off the enhancements, and make sure the burn speed is 4x or lower.

Hit OK,the process is started,this should encode since no slow analyzing "enhancement" was used.The original dvd will be spit out and replace it with a new fuji.

You might want to turn off your internet,screen savers, antivirus software and any thing that may turn on. Shrink will be using 100% of you processor. the those items I listed can sometimes screw people up.

After the process is complete, we need to know if your pc,the one that created the backup, can play this new backup. If ok,then test on the dell pc,and any other stand alones in the home.

Good luck.