1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

only need subtitles in parts

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by potherb, Dec 22, 2007.

1. potherb

potherb Member

Hi everyone,
    My problem is that I have managed to add subtitles to a movie using an afterdawn guide, but I only want to add subtitles to non english speaking parts NOT the whole movie .It seems I can only have all or nothing ! or am i doing something wrong? any help would be appreciated.

2. attar

attar Senior member

If it's a .srt subtitle, then it can be opened in Notepad.
    Each item of dialog has an entry stating the line number and time it will be shown.
    Delete all the entries that you don't need, and save the file with a new name(newfile.srt)

3. potherb

potherb Member

Hi attar,

Doh, did what I thought was the hard part, but didn't know the answer to my question, and it was easy really. BUT I wouldn't have worked it out without your help thankyou for your time and advice film now works a treat with subtitles just when I want them. cheers

4. attar

attar Senior member

Okey-dokey.

5. karelone

karelone Member

thanks for the advice, attar

i've a similar n00b question re editing ... is there a need to renumber the line numbers or just leave the gaps resulting from the deletions?

6. attar

attar Senior member

In my [limited] experience, there is no need to renumber the lines - I have made .srt subtitles without the line numbers and they worked using VLC to play the video.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  7. karelone

karelone Member

thanks attar, i'll do some experiments. :)

8. dannyaz

dannyaz Member

Is there not an easier way to view only the non-english subtitles than going to Notepad?? I went to notepad for the srt file for Rush Hour 3 and there were 925 scenes. The move had maybe 6 scenes in a foreign language. That means I would not only have to dlete 919 scenes but figure out which ones are the foreign language ones and which are not. It doesn't make sense!!! Please help!!!