1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Only one mac section? I got a torrents question

Discussion in 'Mac - General discussion' started by jmbowman, Mar 27, 2011.

1. jmbowman

jmbowman Member

I recently received a letter from my ISP warning me not to download anything illegally. We recently switched ISP's and Verizon is obviously tough on this kind of thing. What programs can I download to help obscure my identity from people out there?

2. oadbylad

oadbylad Member

Look for Folx as per PM

3. jmbowman

jmbowman Member

Can't find that person, not in the sites search engine, could you point me in the right direction

4. oadbylad

oadbylad Member

Look for The Onion Ring (TOR)
    Folx is a down load manager
    Sorry i might have miss lead you there as that mainly or recognized for Mac OS X
    Try this
    http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/
    As it down loads by HTTP the same format as emails ....so no ISP would dare the throttle it

5. jmbowman

jmbowman Member

Edit:

I got Folx now, sorry, I misunderstood your post. Now how do I actually use it to DL torrents anonymously?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  6. oadbylad

oadbylad Member

Open Folx click the plus tab then click search for torrents....type in what every your looking for ...it might take a while as it searches the web

When you get a large selection check one with a lot of swarms
    Then check the authorize box then immediately tab at the bottom

But for complete anonymity you want The Onion Ring
    www.torproject.org/
    But for some reason i cant get the link to open.....i can only think theres a problem with the site
    Try later

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  7. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

tor doesn't protect YOU from YOUR ISP .. they own the wire from your computer to the internet.. they can watch everything in and out.. tor is hopeless for torrents.. and do you necessarily trust the people in the middle not to sneak nasty packets into your datastream?

just some thoughts to ponder over there.. the most secure method for torrents (or any p2p) is buying an account on a large proxy somewhere.. running your torrents through that.. and then downloading the full finished files encrypted at a convenient time... unless you fancy some malicious hacking of a botnet to do that for you.. find a stormworm source.. it's quite easy to modify it to set up a nice proxy controlled tracker.. then trick people into downloading and opening it.. again dumping finished files somewhere only you know (never ever straight back to you) take note of the timezone of your target.. that will tell you the most likely times they are active and might notice your traffic in and out ;).. Not telling you any more.. the above is all quite illegal in many countries.. but just because somebody says it's illegal doesn't mean people don't do it eh?

8. jmbowman

jmbowman Member

If I had the capability of doing that I would, but I'm barely computer literate, nowhere near computer savvy, so I'll opt for buying a "large proxy" (not sure what that means, off to google) to make sure everythings perfect. Thanks bro

9. 123Abby

123Abby Member

i have the same problem too ,and how to deal with that ?

10. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

if they didn't name any specific file and source.. just warned you "don't download illegal stuff".. they can go get f**ked the whining little scumbags.. screw it up and throw it in the bin.... innocent until proven guilty.. they have forgotten.. write them a really nasty letter telling them where to go.. and threaten to change suppliers.....