1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Only three quarters of the data files are burned on the DVD+R ...

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by jirou2356, Apr 7, 2007.

1. jirou2356

jirou2356 Member

Hi everybody, I'm not really a DVD-R noob, I've burned over a hundred of them, but since a few days, everytime I burn a DVD (with Burn4Free or Nero), they don't report any errors, but when I try to read the data DVD, only three quarters of the files are readable. The last quarter of the files is visible on the DVD, but my PC can't read them ...
    A friend of mine has the same problem ...

I have tried burning on Philips DVD+Rs, on Princo DVD+Rs (because my burner only does +R), but to no avail.
    My burner is a Nec ND 1300A, it's pretty old (about 6 years old), but up until last week it worked as new !
    Maybe I should just buy a new DVD-burner, but I really don't think that's the problem ...

If someone could help me out, I would really appreciate ...

2. jirou2356

jirou2356 Member

anybody ?

3. ireland

ireland Active member

it might be time for a new burner,as they do not last for-ever

or try another program and see if the moviers burn..

BEFORE YOU PAY FOR THOSE EXCELLENT PROGRAMS YOU HAVE A 21 DAY FREE TRIAL.
    CLONEDVD AND ANYDVD
    go here
    http://www.slysoft.com/en/download.html

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

According to videohelp.com,Your NEC 1300A should be able to burn both plus and dash format,but only 4x max on R and 2.4x max on RW media.

You may want to see if there's a newer firmware update for it:

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?download_id=1517

Several factors:

1)Because of very old firmware,it may not be able to handle the newer 8x and 16x media that is available. If there is a newer firmware update,it'll help control to writing strategy.

2) Media quality:princo and Philips aren't exactly quality stuff.Could be a bad batch of media or uneven dye on the outer edge of the media-in case you may be putting too much data on your backups. Avoid burning the outer edge of your backups,keep backup target under 4360 mbs.

Maybe try getting some verbatim or taiyo yuden,but try to find the older 8x or slower speed.

3) Paper/sticker labels- Major no-no if playback issues arrise.

4)The dvd-rom may be dying. Get another $35 or so Liteon dvd-rw drive from newegg.com

5. jirou2356

jirou2356 Member

Yeah, it actually does burn both dash and plus, but it once didn't work with Philips DVD-Rs so I thought it didn't work, but I've been burning with dash-Rs the whole time :p
    Anyway, the problem still isn't fixed, but I still have to check the Medium Quality factor (by burning less than 4360 Mbs on the DVDs) and the new burner option ...
    I've also noticed that since short, I have spyware on my PC, so I'm busy removing them ...
    Maybe once that's done it'll work !