1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

only watch 3mins of recovered avi files after hdd crash.

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by lovemehate, Aug 8, 2012.

1. lovemehate

lovemehate Member

I know there are lots of topics like this, but so far i have not read one that has helped me solve the problem:
    My hdd feel and stop working, so i ran a disc-recovery program, and only the .avi files I made with my HD cam are having this problem. everything else is okay. even other avi files.

it seems like its only with huge files size (half a gig or more)

what happens is
    after the first 3mins or so of a video (regardless of length) then it crashes or closes.

I tried stuff like divx converter. I did try virtualdubmod, re saving the file without the bad sections, but it hardly plays and is missing most of the video.

what are things i can try? A different recovery program?

any help you can give would be great as these movies are very very important to me.

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Only thing you can try is a different recovery program for the good it will do,can't tell you where to get it *winks* getdataback is what you'll need if this can't retrieve it without corruption it means the place where the file was stored on the failing hdd was right on the corrupted sectors of that hdd & you may now consider file lost,regardless you'll find any part of that file recovered will have issues being played if what you already mentioned is the case

3. lovemehate

lovemehate Member

if thats the case (cant get the file back fully recovered) how can i save the "okay" parts of the avi in one file that plays back? instead of it closing at 3mins each time?

also, could it be an index problem? if so how do you check that?

thanks for the help so far!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  4. lovemehate

lovemehate Member

bump, sorry. kind of needing a bit more help here :/
    thanks for reading!

5. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

would most probably require converting avi to dvd then using dvd shrink or vobsub to cut the good bits out then re-convert back to avi,all software to achieve end result is free so bypass any that want you to pay if you choose to use other software

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  6. lovemehate

lovemehate Member

thats a great idea. i guess ill use that as a last resort....still seeking ways to fix the avi first....