1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oops.. I broke my fan

Discussion in 'PS2' started by MrKemp, Mar 7, 2005.

1. MrKemp

MrKemp Member

Hey people,
    Not too sure if im posting in the right place but anyway... I just modded my PS2 V9 with DMS4 EZI Pro and... stoopid me.. took the whoooole PS2 apart coz i couldnt seem to work out how to got to the motherboard.. :-( Anyway.. when taking the metal frame thing off i seem to have ripped out the connector for the fan (from the MB, not the fan).. Firstly, MUST I havea a fan?? and secondly... how would I go about getting it back on? I've since re-assembled the machine minus the fan until I figure out how to get it back on again.

Other than this 'little mishap' the install was a piece of pees!!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kempy

2. DBZB126

DBZB126 Regular member

3. MrKemp

MrKemp Member

Thanks for that, Im sure the fan is still ok but I broke the clip/connector thingo off of the MB. Ya think I will be able to solder it back on? What are the chances of leaving the fan off without blowing it up?? Im assuming pretty slim...

Cheers

4. meta1

meta1 Regular member

If you know what your doing and don't mess it up - yes, it's a simple thing to fix without spending money.

5. zerogod

zerogod Member

yes you need a fan first off... your ps2 will overheat without it after a while of play and will turn off or get damaged. 2nd, i broke the connector off mine as well, all i did was strip the end of the 2 wires of the fan and soldered them directly to the board where the connector used to be. it's easier then tryin to reconnect the connector/socket

6. MrKemp

MrKemp Member

Thanks for that guys..
    Im not entirely sure what im doing but if its gonna break if I dont do it then I guess it wont matter too much if I break it trying to fix it. ;-) Hmm.. I will try to solder the wires back to the MoBo where the connector was. WISH ME LUCK. If I bust it... how well do you think an external fan will work? If all else fails, where can I buy an already modded PS2 in the UK for a reasonable price?

Again people, thanks for your help.

Kempy

7. DBZB126

DBZB126 Regular member

btw what PS2 version do you have???

8. MrKemp

MrKemp Member

It says in the original post but its a Chrome V9.

I soldered the 2 wires to the MoBo but still no joy. I think I might just try to get an external USB fan for th time being until I can get a 'decent' sparky to help m fix it or until i get another PS2...? Any suggestions on where I can get a decent premodded PS2 in the UK?

Cheers again for your help...

Kempy

Oh yeah.. Any other suggestions that might help solve my problem are more than welcome.

9. iamsam43

iamsam43 Member

My PS2 is a v7 and I also broke the connector on my mobo for my fan and the cord. I've never soldered before, and would therfore prefer another alternative such as an external USB fan, if it could replace the internal?! But I might solder it if someone could send me some pics or a pic of where to solder it to (I don't even know where I unpugged it from when I broke it)

Thanx in advance for the help!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2005