1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Open GL or Direct 3D?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by neptune13, Mar 11, 2004.

1. neptune13

neptune13 Guest

My question is quite simple ...which is better. And my graphics card ( ATI Radeon 9600se 128MB DDR) will allow both, but when i check the box for Open GL it just says ok and then when I go back into display properties it still remains in direct 3D. What gives?

2. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya,

A simple explanation (for the purposes of this post only) of the differences / usage is:

Windows itself uses DirectX / Direct3D, as do the vast majority of programs (if it is available).

Some games (not many) and lots of PRO graphics / CAD packages use OpenGL (if it is available).

Unless you are using a program that will make use of the funtionality of OpenGL, it will not be used.

The results you are seeing are normal.

Hope this helps...

3. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Good Answer...

Can i just point out to you Neptune, this is the incorrect forum for your question. This forum is for feedback for the website, not questions about Open GL/D-3D. try http://forums.afterdawn.com and you will find a lot of forums. There will be one suited to your question.
    Thanks
    Chris

4. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Teleported.

5. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

Cool. Teleported. Can I get "teleported" to moderator??? XD

Anyway, OpenGL is better for FPS, plus I can't really see the difference between D3D and OpenGL...