1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

opening an application/octet-stream image file

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by moser2006, Oct 8, 2004.

1. moser2006

moser2006 Guest

hi there, thanks for reading my post.

so my friend sent me this email with two "application/octet-stream" files attacthed. However i can't open them. windows doesn't know what to open it with, and the ones i thought it would open with don't work with it.

i searched on google to try to find an answer, but they were all for text files. These attatchements are image files, and they don't have anything like that.

Can you please help me?

2. andmerr

andmerr Guest

why dont you ask him what program and version he is using and then get that program to open the files.I did see some thing pertaining to your problem with regards to PDF files so maybe acrobat might be the go.

3. tempguy

tempguy Guest

i had a similar problem today. i looked at the file in a text editor. it mostly looked like junk but it showed that the file was written in photoshop. so i started adding typical tags at the end that files made in photoshop might have (.jpg, .gif, .pdf) and then was able to open the file. so if you can find a text string in the file with a clue as to what it was made in try putting on a typical suffix. just make sure you don't save changes after you open it in the text editor or you may screw up the file. good luck.