1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opera 26 released. Install it on Linux Mint 17.1 and Ubuntu 14.10

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by ireland, Dec 5, 2014.

1. ireland

ireland Active member

Opera 26 released. Install it on Linux Mint 17.1 and Ubuntu 14.10

n mint, news & announcements, Tutorials/Tips, ubuntu / on December 4, 2014 at 10:45 am /

I don’t quite remember the last time I used Opera browser, but it’s been a very long time ago. I didn’t even think that the company is still developing a Linux version.

So, surprised I was when I read that Opera 26 has been released for Windows, Mac and Linux. Even more surprising is this line from the FAQ about Opera Linux: “Yes, all of the major features found in Opera for Windows and Mac are also available to Linux users, including: Speed Dial, the Discover feature, Opera Turbo, bookmarks and bookmark sharing, themes, extensions and more.”

Feature parity with Opera for Windows and Mac? That’s nice!

So I set out to install it on a test installation of Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon. The installation completed successfully, but there was a minor glitch.

This article shows how to download and install Opera 26 for Linux on Linux Mint 17.1 (and Ubuntu 14.10) and how to correct that minor glitch. By the way, Opera 26 is based on Chromium 39.

To download Opera 26 for Linux (only .deb package available), visit http://www.opera.com/computer and download and save the package. By default, it should be saved to your Downloads folder.

Now, open a shell terminal and type the commands given in the code block below to install it.

YOU MUST GO HERE TO READ IT ALL

http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2014/12/0...stall-it-on-linux-mint-17-1-and-ubuntu-14-10/

2. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

Never liked Opera.. only used it with the often seen screwups with firefox and that vile flashplayer crap ..and bloody ubuntu having way too much upstream dependencies to ever be what I would call stable.

And yes.. I still use my frankensteins monster homebrew Sabayon/Gentoo thing for most stuff.. except the internet which due to mobile pay n go broadband requires I run frikkin xp in a sandbox.. graaahhhh !!