1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question operating system mirroring (constant/frequent)

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by mov51, Jan 31, 2016.

1. mov51

mov51 Newbie

i am looking for a program that allows me to say have a laptop and a desktop that are exact copies of one another. if a change a file on one the same file is changed on the other. i know i can do this with cloud services but i am looking for something a little more in depth. to the point that if i install something on my laptop then either connect it to the internet or via usb to the desktop it will update the files. or if i create a user or edit regedit files on one then the other will update when either of the two happen. is there any software like this let me know please.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

some of your wants like the registry cannot be done unless both computers are identical both bios & hardware.

3. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

The only data that requires mirroring or syncing is,photo's,movies,pdf's,text blah,blah,blah etc.The OS itself only needs separate imaging on both pc's which can be set up easily enough with any imaging software (there are free versions as well as paid)

As for the registry ddp is correct,your different hardware would normally cause issues.However it is possible to create differential images your best bet is web search on that one.It does work as i've done it but there's no guarantee it will work for you.IMO it's better to sync common data like i mentioned in first paragraph,both computers must be on to achieve this unless you have an external hdd to where you can centralize everything,perhaps to a modem/router with usb port or manual connection to usb port or some sort of hub.My preferred method is individual images for pc's & any data is stored on external,tho i do have partitions on my pc's that store regularly used software or data,important data is mirrored on pc & external,as you can't rely on just one storage source,i also use free cloud storage on mega

there is free syncing software

4. mov51

mov51 Newbie

ok thank you for the replies it really helps. in tying to set up a nice computer network in my house but i keep running into problems this was just just one of my fantasies i'll look into the software you mentioned.

5. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member