1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Operating System not found

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by acizzle, Aug 21, 2007.

1. acizzle

acizzle Member

I'm trying to restore a older HP pc for my brother for general use(internet). I haven't tried booting it since about November 06. I booted up the computer and then got the message. I decided to go ahead and reformat the HD, it was full anyway. I used WD Data Lifeguard Tools to reinstall the HD which was fairly simple. I was then prompted to choose which Windows version I would install. I chose ME with that being the most up to date actual copy I own. After inserting disk and resetting the computer, it came up to a black screen, then the error "Operating System not found". Now I have already went into BIOS and set it up for CD-Rom, Harddrive, Removeable devices, and network, so I'm sure nothing is wrong there. The HD is recognized in BIOS as well. I tried to insert the Restore CD that came with the HP, which when booted it installed Windows 95. The only problem with that is that it only let me run it in Safe Mode. If I tried to run it regularly the computer would just freeze. So, I reformatted the HD again in hopes of installing ME again. Still, no help. If I insert a Restore CD, it will boot, but says it is uncompatible with the computer. When I insert any windows disk, it won't even read them. Any help is appreciated because at this point I'm pretty confused.

On a side note I was thinking of installing 95 and then doing a upgrade to ME or XP, but since it will only let me run it in safe mode, I have no idea on how to even do so. In safe mode the CD drive is not recognizable.

2. DoubleDwn

DoubleDwn Regular member

Is the ME disc even bootable? Try downloading a Windows ME boot disc from bootdisk.com. Then run the setup from teh CD.

~Rich

3. acizzle

acizzle Member

I'm not sure what you mean by that? The ME disk is the full copy of windows, so it should be? When I go to the site, how do I download the ME bootdisk? Is it possible I d/l a XP bootdisk as well?

Thanks

4. DoubleDwn

DoubleDwn Regular member

5. acizzle

acizzle Member

Unfortunately, I do not have a floppy drive on my current computer.

6. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Try going back into the BIOS and setting the boot order to CD drive first boot. Then reboot the machine with the ME disk. You can change the boot order back after the installation is done.

7. DoubleDwn

DoubleDwn Regular member

He said that a Windows 9x disk booted up, so why woudlnt the ME disk boot?

Dont you have a spare floppy drive laying around?