1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions on Which DVD Rom To Buy

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by butchr, Apr 24, 2004.

1. butchr

butchr Guest

The MSI 16x Reader I have it refuses to read any DVDR-'s. Memorexs, Generics and lately Ritek Golds. All of which play in my MSI Burner and standalone DVD player. I've been looking for reviews on the higher end ones espescially the Toshiba SDM102-TA. Unfortunatly in the manufacturer specs they all boast playing different kinds of CDs but make no reference to DVDs. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good versitile DVD Rom with high read speeds, 16x?

Butch R

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

LiteOn 166S. It tears through everything - it gets up to 14X reading DVDs, accurate DAE and it was only $30. I've had it for a year and a half now and still going strong plus there's a nice little region free fix for it here:

http://digi.rpc1.org/rpc.htm

3. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Might wanna check out the MSI drive there buddy :) Been playing with a MSI drive as well as an ASUS (both of which i reccomend for sheer performance).

If you want a respectable budget drive, go for the LG16X DVDROMS -- dirt cheap and very impressive performance (got me 2 :p)

If its of any value to you, stay away from Sony (yes, S O N Y), Phillips, HP, Cicero DVDROMS.

4. butchr

butchr Guest

Which MSI drive do you have? I have the P8216S. There was a firmware update on their site but it is gone. Wonder why? It was a special firmware for the 16x Rom with the S designation after the model # which I have. MSI tech's advised me to download their utility to automaticly update my hardware. No way! In their defense they did offer me to RMA it. The read and write times are phenominal with the MSI ROM and MSI Burner. I did order a liteon 166 so will see. Everytime I did decide on a Rom I would find unsatifactory reviews on something. I see where Toshiba is introducing a SATA Rom but the comments I read was there was no significant performance increase as opposed to IDE. Bottle neck is somewhere else but to avoid data crossing would be great but I'm running out of serial ports also so it doesn't matter. Also I was worried about their ability to read CSS encrypted Discs which is what all the Toshiba firmwares are about. Unlocking the read speeds from 2x if I'm correct. Thanks
    Butch R

5. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

6. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

I recently bought a Lite On 166S for $31 from Newegg.com and I've been nothing but happy with it. Most discs rip at an average speed of around 5x-7x (peak of around 9x-10x) and it even managed to get all the way up to 14x on one disc.