1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions: Ripping to AVI

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by vzmule, Aug 14, 2011.

1. vzmule

vzmule Member

I typically copy a dvd to iso then burn the iso to disc and have software that works quite well for that (anydvd, clonedvd2, nero 10.5), but occasionally have a need to rip to avi for internet purposes. I've tried a number of apps but all seem to produce substandard quality results including poor video quality and more importantly audio and video getting out of sync.

So I have a 2 part question:

1) What are individual opinions on the best dvd to avi software that has decent processing time, quality video output and is great at keeping audio & video synced? I saw a reference in a recent post to autoGK. Is this the best?

2) If you have an avi that is out of sync, is there a utility that can easily sync the streams?

P.S. I saw a sticky about asking about DVD-Rs and that people endanger their accounts by posting about them. Just curious what that was about. Anyone?

2. attar

attar Senior member

If the out of sync is constant, you can get the factor in milliseconds by playing it in the likes of VLC and press either j or k and noting the number.

Load the file in VirtualDub.
    Select Video > Direct Stream Copy.
    Audio > Interleaving > Audio Skew and insert the number from VLC.
    File > Save as AVI.

AutoGK is as good as any for DVD to AVI.
    It uses the XviD codec and is quite fast on a multicore PC.
    Use 'Target quality (in percentage) 75.

3. vzmule

vzmule Member

Thanks