1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oppo OPDV971H

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by btufail, Oct 24, 2006.

1. btufail

btufail Member

i heard that this was suppossed to be one the the best up converting dvd players on the market @ $199. even better than denon's $3500 model. anyone have an Oppo that can give some feed back?

2. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

I have one and it's awesome!! Your TV must be hi def naturally and have a DVI or HDMI input.

3. VJbob

VJbob Regular member

2 questions. How does this playback divx? How do I properly burn a divx to a DVD that will playback. Do I just 'drag and drop' and burn?

4. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

I've got one .........Awesome Player.

Hard to imagine that HD DVD could be alot better.

5. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

btufail, i have one also all i can say it BUY IT!!! lol its an amazing dvd player i got mine at amazon for 199.00 with free shipping in one day!!,the guys at Oppo told me to get it there

6. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@aabbccdd ... Awesome machine, isn't it? I got mine from Amazon as well. Strangely, I was a bit disappointed when I first took it out of the box; it seemed so flimsey compared to the Toshiba I was replacing. I was also a bit fearful when I plugged it in and saw that the menus, though packed with features, seemed cheaply designed compared to the Toshiba. But I gasped when I started the movie...what a picture! Yet, all the reviews I'd read, and there were many, warned of this...seemed a little cheap and cost cutting here and there but had a pic better than the top of the line of other brands. I don't regret buying it for a moment; I couldn't have made a better choice. The only thing I really don't like at all is the remote; seems badly designed and all crammed together....but hell, I can live with that!

7. club42

club42 Regular member

Will the oppo play DL disks.

8. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Hmmmm....I'll take a look at their web site.

9. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

@gerry1

Oppo now has a new remote. The newer remotes already come w/ the newer players out. But you can order one from OPPO.

It's FREE also, all you have to do is pay $5.00 for shipping.

I just @ their site & don't see the remote anymore ?

I just saw it on their site about 2 weeks ago ? Oh well give OPPO a call & see if their still offering the remote.

The remote is bigger & has larger buttons that illuminate.

Here's what the newer remote looks like...........

http://www.oppodigital.com/images/971Remote-C.jpg

10. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

club42 , YES it plays DL dvds its plays almost any format out there plus its plays both ntsc and the pal format

YES gerry this is a great dvd player

dabig25 ,my remote looks like that but i dont think it illuminates i will have to check again if not i will get it

club42, heres the specs. of the player

OPPO OPDV971H Overview:

DVI (Digital Video Interface) output to eliminate flickers and to produce more clear pictures

High resolutions include 480p, 540P, 576p, 720p, 1080i
    Up Convert from 480i to 720p/1080i
    DCDi by Faroudja. Video is analyzed on a single pixel granularity to detect presence or absence of angled lines and edges, which are then processed to produce a smooth natural looking image without visible artifacts (jaggies)
    Official DivX® Certified product
    Plays all versions of DivX® video (including DivX® 6) with standard playback of DivX® media files
    Plays XviD and .SRT, .SMI, .IDX and .SUB formats
    Per-pixel Motion Adaptive De-interlacing
    Patented Film Mode Processing ( Used for proper de-interlacing of 3:2 and 2:2 pull down material)

Functions:
    DVD Video, DVD Audio, DivX®, XviD, Audio CD, HDCD, WMA, DVD+R/RW, DVD-R/RW, CD-R/RW, Kodak Picture
    Super Error Correction with Twin Laser and Intelligent Laser Wavelength Control
    PAL / NTSC discs
    Automatic screen saver
    Menu Driven Setup Screen
    Playability of self-recorded discs may vary depending on media and formatting software types

Video:
    108MHz/12bit Video D/A Converter
    DVI Output
    NTSC / PAL Output
    Screen Aspect Ratio 4:3 and 16:9
    Smart Video: Sharpness/Contrast/Brightness/Saturation
    Multi-Angled View
    Multi-Language for On-Screen-Display

Audio:
    192 KHz Sampling Frequency, 24-Bit High Quality Audio DAC
    Dolby Digital Down-mixed 2-Ch Stereo (L. R)
    Built-in Dolby digital Decoder, Dolby Digital (AC3) 5.1 Channel Output
    Built-in DTS Digital Decoder, DTS 5.1 Channel Output
    Dolby Digital/DTS/LCPM Bitstream Output
    3D Surround (Virtual Surround): Concert, Live, Dance, Techno, Classic, Soft

Power Supply:
    ~~110V - ~~250V, 50Hz/60Hz AC Universal Power Supply
    Automatic Short Circuit Protection

Connectors:
    Analog (Mixed 2 Ch) Stereo (Left, Right) Audio
    S/PDIF (IEC-958) Coaxial/Optical Digital Audio
    Component Video/Composite Video/S-Video
    DVI (5' DVI-DVI-D cable included)
    Bonus: 6' DVI-HDMI cable
    5.1 Channel Audio

http://www.oppodigital.com/opdv971h.html

and this is what makes this an outstanding player [bold]DCDi by Faroudja [/bold] one of the best chip sets on the market

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2006
  11. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@aabbccdd....just sent you a PM with a link you'll find interesting.

12. JVC

JVC Active member

Oppo is coming out very soon with a player in black. It's not listed on their site yet. I think the model number is DV 980HD. You can call and ask when it's available.

13. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

JVC any pictures ?

Any advantages over the 971H ?

14. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

i have to call Oppo today to get the updated remote so i will asked and post back.

i would guess the new model will have an HDMI output compared to the 971 having an DVI output plus there will probably be a 1080p setting

15. JVC

JVC Active member

No pics yet, or they would probably be up on their site.
    A guy at one of the HT forums I go to, called and asked about a black one, and they said that they're coming soon. He didn't give a date. Don't know if he asked for the date...........

16. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

i called Oppo about the new model it will be the HD-981

and will have HDMI output with a 1080p setting and will be black,no release date at this time was available

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2006
  17. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

HD-981 ?

It's an HD DVD player ?????????????

18. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

No it doesn't mean that and it's just plain deceptive advertising. Samsung does it too. With HD DVD soon to explode, methinks the poop will hit the fan on that one! Somewhere in the HD Displays forum, Ced (Diabolos) explains why upconversion to 1080i is a far better pic but still not hi-def (I think it was Ced anyway) but I'm at a loss to remember the explanation. Perhaps aabbccdd can answer that. Upconversion to 1080i still isn't high def. A damn good pic, yes, but not hi def and you can tell if you run your upconverting DVD player and then suddenly switch to a real HD movie and it will show you exactly what I mean.

19. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

dabig25, its going to be an upcoverting dvd player

i haven't compared an upcoverting 1080i or 1080p dvd player to real HD/Blu-Ray so i can't comment. BUT i can't see how HD/Blu-Ray could look that much better then the Oppo OPDV971 i have .the picture is just amazimg on my Sony 60" SXRD . i watch "Starwars" III i had backed up on a DL Verbatim disc last night and i iam just blown away by the pictue quality

20. paubar6

paubar6 Member

I'm seriously considering getting an Oppo, or a similar low-priced upscaling DVD player. However, my older Mitsubishi HDTV (a great picture dinosaur CRT I dont plan on replacing anytime soon) does not have a DVI or HDMI input. It has regular component inputs for normal DVD players and one RGB input for the HD display. Given that, would I derive any real benefit from an upconverting DVD player? Thanks for your input.