1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optical to Anologue???

Discussion in 'PS2' started by GlennT, Feb 7, 2004.

1. GlennT

GlennT Regular member

just wondering if anyone knows where i can get a LOW COST box which will take the OPTICAL AUDIO OUTPUT of my PS2 and convert it into the 6 individual outputs for my home speaker system.......

see, i bought this 5.1 surround sound system and it sounds GREAT on my dvd player, but because it has only separate ANALOGUE INPUTS, i can't connect my ps2 to it properly, the best i can do it use the stereo output from the scrat leadi have..........which my speaker system can use to created "virtual surround sound", but that's NO WHERE NEAR as good as real 5.1 sound.

the only things i've seen for ps2 and COMPLETE systems with speakers and everything........well, i already have my speakers, so i JUST want the box??

anyone have any reccomendations (oh, by the way i live in the uk, so preferably a uk retauler, or a company who will ship to the uk)

-x-x-x-

2. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

you need a reciever you know what that is right? it's that big thing that you can connect varius things to it... such as tv output.. dvd... vcr.. speakers.... and stuff like that... now every reciever got 2 digital inputs... 1 dvd digital orange... and 1 black optic digital input.. connect the ps2 to the digital using the optic cable... and set the reciever to digital input... then you can set the pro logic II or just use the all stereo channels with the 5.1 system... and DTS and all the other digital modes.. quite a thing if you manage that.. my reciver is connected to my pc via the optic cable... the reciver is set to digital linear pcm...

3. GlennT

GlennT Regular member

that was quite confusing.......

basically i just want to know where i can get a box/reciever/whatever you want to call it, that will let me connect a 5.1 OPTICAL OUTPUT from ps2 to my 6 separate audio anologue inputs on my speaker system

like this

PS2<--OPTICAL CABLE-->BOX<--Front Left Speaker Input
    BOX<--Front Right Speaker Input
    BOX<--Center Speaker Input
    BOX<--Rear Left Speaker Input
    BOX<--Rear Right Speaker Input
    BOX<--Sub Woofer Input

see.........i just want soemthing with ONE OPTICAL INPUT and 6 ANALOGUE OUTPUTS......

PLEASE HELP???

i didn't understand the last post at all.

4. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

heres more simple thing

PS2->optic cable->receiver<->all 5.1 speakers

receiver lets you connect speakers to it all 6 of them including sub...

you CANT use the analog AND the digital togerther since analog is using electric cables while digital uses fibers.... however you CAN connect them both to the reciver to get more sound...

if the receiver is much of a problem you can always go for the special cables..

[​IMG]

as for the optic cables you better have one and it looks like this..

[​IMG]

as for the receiver

look here...

http://www.costco.com/frameset.asp?trg=product.asp&catid=79&subid=80&prdid=10033807&hierid=3840

5. GlennT

GlennT Regular member

WOW, OK, thanx for the reply.

mcuh appreciated.

ok, so that special cable has only 5 plugs though???

one must be for VIDEO??? and the other 4 for audio???

ok, so it's not all 6 audio outputs that ym speaker system has........but it's still better than virtual surround sound........

so where can i buy that cable?

6. GlennT

GlennT Regular member

WOW, OK, thanx for the reply.

mcuh appreciated.

ok, so that special cable has only 5 plugs though???

one must be for VIDEO??? and the other 4 for audio???

ok, so it's not all 6 audio outputs that ym speaker system has........but it's still better than virtual surround sound........

so where can i buy that cable?

7. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

if you like ordering from online you should defently try lik-sang they sell ALOT of things.. i order form them all the time... and i get free shipping for games...

www.lik-sang.com

just keep in mind for the cables you STILL need the reciever.. since only they can make the 5.1 work... not to talk about DTS 5.1 and the fiber optic cables... any one with a set of speakers need recvier even a cheap one... you should defently see my sound setup...

6.1 system...

2 L and R 15 inch speakers w/o twiters
    2 LS and RS 6 inch speakers with twiters
    2 mid 6 inch speaker
    1 13 inch sub
    and LFE to do best results with a pc i use my optic cable and do DSP all CH stereo to make big noise all i do i pump the vol up to 25.... while the 50 is the limit... all the system takes just about over 400W... this ofcorse lets me conect my ps2 to the system... and i play using my vga box and my monitor... so i save quite some time connecting to the TV....

8. GlennT

GlennT Regular member

why do you need the receiver for THAT cable????

my speakers have the input sockets for thoise plugs, so why can't i just plug them straight into the back of my main speaker unit???

my speaker system has 5 small speakers and one sud-woofer and the sub is liek the main unit too so it has all the inpouts on the back....

9. GlennT

GlennT Regular member

oh wait.........i just realised that 3 of those cables are for video and two are for audio........so that is NO USE AT ALL for getting surround sound from your ps2......???

is there a cable similar to that but with just ONE VIDEO and 5or6 AUDIO????

or........a receiver........will this convert the optical cable to 6 separate outputs???

i am confused........what EXACTLY does the reveiver do???

DOES IT HAVE 6 SEPARATE outputs???

10. GlennT

GlennT Regular member

does nyone know where i can get what i need?

cos i have had my speaker system for a long time now, and it has always bugged me that i can get surround sound on my dvd player, but not on my ps2.........

i have looked around for these "receivers", but all no sites seem to give much details as to the exact inputs and outputs of the receivers.

i need something that can take the signal from the optical cable and turn it into separate outputs for each of the inputs on my speaker system.

trouble is........all the sites show pictures of the FRONT of the receivers.......great, what good is that???

i need to see the BACK of the uint so i can see the connections and the inputs/outputs......

it's no good choosing a unit that LOOK NICE ON THE FRONT if it doesn't have the connections i need on the back.......

i swear the peopel who do these sites must be stupid.......why nbot have pics of the front AND the back????

grrr..........this is highly frustrating.

if ANYONE knows what i am talking about and cen help PLEASE POST

-x-x-x-

11. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

basicly a receiver is audio/video control system...

it has alot of input connectors...

a receiver needs speakers to run now to generate 5.1 using a ps2 you can use a receiver

all you do is plug the ps2 to the receiver... to the proper inputs then use the tv output to watch the game then the receiver takes the regular stereo input and changes it to 5.1 depending on how much speakers connected to it... keep in mind you need regular home theater speakers...

heres some helps lines on how to do it... the guide helps you with dvd but.... all you need is to replace the dvd with a ps2....

http://www.dolby.com/ht/Guide.HomeTheater.0110.html
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]my love has left me... im all alone again... without you my love... i would just die :([/small]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2004
  12. GlennT

GlennT Regular member

hang on.........it still uses the STEREO ps2 audio????

so the ps2 itself doesn't separate the audio into the different channels???????

so in that case........whatever that receiver does......it's not gonna be proper surround sound STILL.........i thought that with the OPTICAL cable, the ps2 would send information abotu ALL the channels to your system...........but if it still only sends the STEREO channels, this will make no difference, and you still can;t get proper surround sound???

how can some little box tell when soemthing is supposed to be in the rear speakers unless the PS2 itself sends that information.

so wjhatever this receiver does, it will not be true surround sound..........so i might as well stick with the virtual ss that my speaker system already provides.......

so logn as this one detail is correct.......

"the receiver takes the regular stereo input and changes it to 5.1 depending on how much speakers connected to it"

if this is the best that the ps2 to can, then i will stick with my existing setup............no point in paying for an expensive little box if it's not gonna make any difference (which it can't if the ps2 only gives it STEREO [2 channel] info).

13. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

and again your not paying attention...

the ps2 CAN make them all the receiver makes it all up

it takes the ps2 sound and CONVERT it to TRUE 5.1 using the decompress system implented into the receiver...

EVEN if the ps2 send stereo the receiver changes it it can change it to pro logic II it can change it to all channel stereo it can create 5.1 surrround and if the game supports DTS the "lil box" will make the game in DTS using the optic cables... in the end it's all about the game... dont forget that the game ALSO has to support what your trying to do... if it's only stereo in the game then you cant really go far w/o using the proper tools... receiver in this case... btw dvd also use the 3 cables so basicly it's stereo aswell...
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]my love has left me... im all alone again... without you my love... i would just die :([/small]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2004
  14. GlennT

GlennT Regular member

nope.........my dvd has 6 separate cables and six separate outputs to goto my 6 separate speaker inoputs for the 6 channels.

i see no way that the receiever can really decide which parts of the 2 channels are supposed to be played on the back speakers and which are on the front...........since the stereo info sent FROM THE PS2 is only 2 channels.........

the onyl way i can see it working is if that optical cable holds informatiuon for ALL 6 CHANNELS.........

dunno why sony couldsn't have just made a cable which has the 6 separate outputs on it, instead of messing about with expensive receivers and optical cables.....

it is far simpler to just read the 6 channels from the game disc or dvd movie and send them as separate aufdio outputs...........instead of putting them into stereo then leaving some little expensive box to try and unscramble them back into their proper six channels............it makes noi sense to me at all.

well, i can't be dealing with anythign that expensive if it doesn;t do exactly what i wanted it to do..........and if the ps2 has no cable or any way of having 6 separate outputs i will just kleave it, and have the virtual surround that i have already.

i still can watch movies in surround on ym dvd player, so i will have to stick to that, haha.

but thanx for explaining anyways

-x-x-x-

15. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

sure thing dude... btw you should try the games that support pro logic II... it might help you out with the 5.1..