1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optimal IDE Arrangement - 2 HDD, DVD-Rom & DVD-RW

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Timbot421, Mar 7, 2005.

1. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Mort81

If they are ATA133 then they are 80 wire cables.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I've been using rounded cables for some time with nary a problem :)

3. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

On Newegg (which is where I buy a lot of puter parts :) there discreption are like this
    Notice "Connector type" what does it say? IDE80P that means IDE 80 wire... Just look for that and you will be good to go!!

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Thankyou gents for your wisdom and knowledge. I appreciate it.

5. nytvd

nytvd Member

i have a dell 4600 2.66 ghz only year and a half old and i was surprised to find 40 wire IDE cables... this after my pioneer DVR 109 that i installed would only burn at x1...(pretty bad i think)
    will buy a 80 wire cable today and also check the DMA settings. hope that fixes it. on the pioneer site it said that not having 80 wire will limit me to x8 but i could not even get that (it started at x6 and slowly wound down to x5, x4, x3 and so on).
    my 2 dells have been OK so far but i have been bitten by the "build it yourself" bug (cruising the newegg site sure helped...) and my next comp will be home made!

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Just be aware that when they say x16 speed that is the maximum and not the average. Drives tend to read or write faster at the begining because it is reading the disc from the inside to the outer edge where it will slow down, but not as drastically as you have stated Nytvd. Especially with the drive you have that is a good drive so something is definatley a miss with your set up. The 80 wire IDE cables will deffinatley help, and making sure you are running in DMA mode. :)

7. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

i know pioneer 109 is rip locked at 1/2x but burning like you say BB should be faster!

there is a firmware hack but its still not down to one app / firmware install...

it needs quite abit of work but people are doing it!

8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Your right Rotary but Nytvd was talking about burning not ripping, and x1 is just bad!!!

9. nytvd

nytvd Member

thanks for the feedback, yes i am talking about burning and as i said it starts at x6 and slows after 5 seconds to x1 (very painful to watch)...
    this is strange because i have the NEC burner that came with the dell that burns great at x2.4 which is the max for that burner and this new DVR 109 cannot sustain past x1. i just got a rounded 80 wire cable and will try it tonight as well as check the DMA/PIO settings.if this does not work it is going back to newegg, can't keep making coasters as i troubleshoot this...

10. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

nytvd

Remove the burner from Device manager before you shut down to change over the cable, this way when you boot back up with the new cable connected to your burner, Windows will pick it up and set the proper DMA for you. Just a bit cleaner and easier that way.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2005
  11. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi there

hey there scubabud, i see you are O/Cing i used to watercool my rig....

yes this pioneer 109 i was going to buy one but i am slipping towards plextor at present....

from what i have been reading...

=========================

the asus 1608p is a pioneer insides!

http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?t=33109

12. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Hey Rotary :)

I thought you have like a zillion burners already! <G>

My new toy's are dual LCD monitors. :)

=======================================

The older one, Asus DRW-1604P has NEC chips inside.

13. nytvd

nytvd Member

replaced 40 wire cable with 80 and no change still at x1.
    took both dvd writers out , saw that the old NEC had the jumper on csel, changed that to slave and made DVR109 to master...that made the DVR 109 burn at x2 which is better but still not what i want... at this point i'm thinking the 109 is just a bad one.
    my IDE drivers are dated 7/1/2001 does that make a difference? and they are all set to DMA...
    removed and reinstalled drive and IDE drivers, no change.

14. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

They should be correct and are not the problem. The question should be what media are you using now? Brand, +/- and speed?

15. nytvd

nytvd Member

using TDK DVD+R x8 and have burned a lot of those on my NEC that came with my dell. this NEC only does x2.4 but does a great job on each and every disc. got the Pioneer dvr 109 with dreams of burning 3 times as fast or better but as you see it ain't workin' out!
    i did see some threads on this and others complaining of same issues i have. and some are saying they have no problems...

16. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

I would try other media before you pull anymore hair out, just to be sure it isn't that. You have everything else setup properly now so give it a try with quality media, I mean real quality media.

17. nytvd

nytvd Member

please, what do you suggest? (you think the TDK's are a disservice to the pioneer dvr 109?)

18. nytvd

nytvd Member

are the maxells good? should i look at the DVD-R?

thanks,

19. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Yes Maxell is good media and I would stay with -r media with pioneers.

I would use +r media with your NEC since it is capable of booktyping +r media dvd-rom (the most compatable format). The pioneer can not do this.

20. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Every burner likes something different when it comes to basic media. And even some name brands don't fair well with them. Then again, there is other media that always seems to work well no matter what burner they are in. TY's are considered to be god's word here on aD.

I have had perfect luck with my Sony Media - or +. If you have a Staples near you, they have Sony DVD-R 8x or Sony DVD+R 8x for $9.94 for 25 pieces or 40 cents a piece. I just had to try burns at 16x, just to see how they faired and they were flawless even at those speeds. My burns are normally at 8x though.