1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optorite DD0401 VS Pioneer DVR-107

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by jester440, Jan 17, 2004.

1. jester440

jester440 Member

I'm looking to upgrade my Nec ND-1100A to a dual format burner, Which burner would be better Optorite DD0401 or Pioneer DVR-107? Here are the specs

Optorite DD0401 price: $150
    DVD+R Write Speed: 8X
    DVD+RW Rewrite Speed: 4X
    DVD-R Write Speed: 4X
    DVD-RW Rewrite Speed: 2X
    CD Write Speed: 40x
    CD Rewrite Speed: 24x
    BURN-Proof: prevents Buffer Under Run
    HD-BURN: record twice the capacity of CD-R media
    2 MB internal buffer
    Motorized easy touch tray loading
    Firmware upgradeable
    Installation: horizontal and vertical

Pioneer DVR-107 Price: $220
    DVD-R -- 8X
    • DVD-RW -- 4X(4X-DVD-RW media), 2X (2X DVD-RW media), 1X
    • DVD+R -- 8X
    DVD+RW -- 4X(4X DVD+RW media), 2.4X
    • CD-R -- 24X Z-CLV, 16X, 8X, 4X
    • CD-RW -- 24X Z-CLV(Ultra-Speed CD-RW media), 16X(Ultra-Speed CD-RW media), 10X (High- Speed CD-RW media), 4X

Now the pioneer has 8X DVD-R but optorite has HD burn, 40X CD-R and is cheaper. It will be used for making DVD back ups and PS2 games

Thanks for the help
    -Steve

2. tr7

tr7 Member

There is nothing to decide as far as I am concerned. The Pioneer DVR-107 will burn the - disks at 8x and that is what you will need to use for your applications. The + disks are not generally used for anything other than authoring. I currently own the Pioneer DVR-105 and I will be purchasing the 107 for my other pc. Pioneer makes the best dvd burners on the market today. I would not be taken in by the Optorite claim regarding the burn technology they have. I have never burned a coaster as a result of my Pioneer drive. I have seen the 107 for $164 shipped in retail box. If you would like the name just send me an email. Hope this helps.

3. jester440

jester440 Member

Ok so the optorite seem to be out of the picture I been asking on cdfreaks to and threw in the nec-2500a and got it narrowed down to the nec or the pioneer.cdfreaks did a nice review on the nec and even though it was a little slower then othere 8X the DVD writing quality was said to be outstanding.So now I got it down to these 2

4. tr7

tr7 Member

The last I heard, there were only 3 manufacturers of dvd burners. Pioneer and Lite-On were two. I'm not sure who the third was. I know Sony has stopped making dvd burners. Anyway, my point is, your NEC is made by one of the 3 main players. My bet is, it's not Pioneer. I would find out who the real manufacturer of the NEC is. I have also found that for every positive review, you can also find a negative review. My advice, get the Pioneer. It's $164 at Limewarehouse and free shipping. Use coupon code PIONEER107 to save $11 off their regular price of $175.

5. Telstar

Telstar Member

There are currently more than 3 manufacturers of dual format DVD burners, even after Sony bowed out, there are still NEC, OptoRite, LG/Hitachi, Pioneer, Lite-On, BTC, and Plextor, not even counting single format manufacturers such as BenQ, Nu Tech, Ricoh, and Toshiba. Matsushita/Panasonic also produces DVD Multi drives mostly for the industrial and OEM market.

For a quick comparison between the A07 and ND-2500A, see the following link:

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=200549

6. jester440

jester440 Member

So many choices thanks for all the help I'll make my decision next week when I get my new credit card thanks for all the help. As far as NEC having a parent company I think NEC is its own its big I see NEC stuff everywhere and even on a chart for TVs showing the companys and the parent companys that pioneer was made by NEC I dunno but thanks for the help it got me narrowed down to 2 and kept me from turning away from pioneer

7. jester440

jester440 Member

oh one more question what is the read speed of the pioneer? I read the NEC was 12x but locked at 5X for noise. I really don't care about writing, reading is what takes forever for me.

8. jacobnrg

jacobnrg Member

tr7
    i been looking for this drive but they only sell it as bare drive i'll appresiate if you give the address were you saw this
    thank
    you can email me at jacobnrg@yahoo.com

9. zoidy

zoidy Member

I'm going to be biased here!
    I had an optorite - sent it back cos it wasn't functioning correctly.
    Bought a 107D instead -
    Flashed it too write G04 media at X8.

THIS DRIVE ROCKS - for the normal consumer on the street - this drive is more than powerful enough to do what you want it too.

Zoidy

6 minute burns, low noise - it's great... Just buy it- you won't be sorry!