1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optorite DVD Burner

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Paladin36, Jun 10, 2003.

1. pkkd

pkkd Member

FLtLine,

I tried Memorex DVDRW with nero 5 and they were all bad. But then again, all my media was coming out bad.

I upg to nero 6 and everything started working... although the optodisc media is still questionable.

2. pkkd

pkkd Member

Also, strange and of note:

Memorex +R burns fine with the optorite drive, and plays in my DVD player (amw cheapo), AND in my PC dvd player, although they say they only support the -R (samsung NS324B or some nonsense... it's a dell 8500).

Haven't been able to get the DVD-R memorex to play in this thing yet. I'm quickly running out of discs.

3. pkkd

pkkd Member

incidentally, i just read somewhere that DVD+RW need to be long formatted prior to use, but DVD-RW does not. i'm trying again with a DVD+RW that's been fully formatted, and we'll see if that works (memorex).

also, Amazon has 25 spindle Memo+R and -R for $30. score.

4. danes

danes Guest

Feedback: Have ripped, transcoded and burnt with new optorite dd203 w/2.16 and have only used dvd-r with limited success. I have recently done 2 dvd's and find they play great on my pc and 1 of 2 standalone dvd players which is a hyundai 380 (region free)..the other, a daewoo dv6t (combo vhs) is a no go. On both burnt projects it always stops 37-38 seconds into the movie EXACTLY. Since it is fine in the other instances..my guess is that the daewoo does not like how b' gold is burning it? ??They play fine in others?? Should I try Nero 6 or where would the 'fault' be, go dvd+r?? i appreciate any comments.-
    thnx in advance guys!

P.S. (when i used b'gold 3.32 with panasonic 1x dvd-r all was fine, played on everything except slooww)

dvd-decrypt
    dvd2one
    b's gold 5
    optorite dd203 (2.16 f/w)
    Princo 2X -r media
    win98se

5. Fltline

Fltline Member

Sync, my bac, it wasn't Maxwell's it Memorex 4x DVD+RW's that didn't work. I have used Verbatim 2.4's with no problem.

6. actech

actech Regular member

pkkd,
    hopefully you are using a trial of dvd decrypter. before you buy, try dvd shrink its free and you can put what you want in the burn,ie menu or not , trailers or not, if it has a neat thx openning i'll put it in before the movie.like the cow sounds on monsters inc. i dont think the guide has been updated to beta5 yet but its similar no full disk button and the reauthor brings up a different screen that you have to drag the movie file and whatever you are putting in with it (if anything)to the new screen. using the deep analysis takes very long but on large screen (over 50") you'll see better quality. don't notice any diffeerence on my 32

7. cherzo

cherzo Member

does anybody know if the bios beta 2.18 does any good or is it a bad thing to use it?

tia

8. Corey_NY

Corey_NY Member

Grettings all,

I'm thinking of buying this drive and I want to backup DVD's using DVD X Copy Express (for now). Is this the drive to get? Or should I spend a bit more cash and get another drive? Tygerdirect.com has this drive listed for $119 - great price.

Thanks!

9. Telstar

Telstar Member

NewEgg.com is currently selling the DD0203 for $110.99 with free shipping, but I would still not recommend this burner because of its terrible firmware support and media compatibility. Both NEC ND-1300A and Pioneer DVR-106D are much better values than the DD0203, especially if you burn a lot of DVD discs and distribute them to others. Just my two cents.

10. cheib

cheib Member

Corey opinions vary on this drive but I have owned this drive for 6 months now and have had nothing but success with it. and for the price of $108.99 w/ free shipping at newegg.com you cant go wrong, I just put in a purchase for a 2'nd one for my other PC. Just stay away from crappy cheap media and you will have no problems with the optorite.

11. multiplex

multiplex Member

I bought the OptoriteDD0203 some months ago and was quite happy with it as it does everything it promised and i had burned dozens of discs and also used it as a normal CDDrive to install software or play pc games.(Windows 98SE)

However recently i bought a set of educational software discs and none of this discs can be read on the optorite! The discs play the software perfectly on another computer installed with Yamaha CD burner, hence the discs are good.

I contact the software maker and they said it is probably due to special privacy copy protection scheme of their educational software and they have no solution for the moment. The told me that on other DVD writers it had worked before. Anyone have similar experirience?
    regards\ Multiplex.

12. Corey_NY

Corey_NY Member

OK, I bit the bullet and bought this drive from Newegg.com for $107 shipped (!). I know this thread will be a huge help in getting the drive up and running. While I'm waiting for it to arrive, I'm going to play with Nero 6 & DVD shrink. Does anyone have a link to good media to use with these programs & drive? I'm going to be backing up DVD's and want them to play on my stand alone DVD which only supports DVD-R.

13. pkkd

pkkd Member

Corey,

My standalond DVD drive (Samsung Inspiron Dual Format) says that it only plays DVD-R, but in reality, the only thing i can get it to read is DVD+R... so I think that you may have to trial and error.

Stay away from Sony with this drive (not recognized yet), and I've had exceptionally good luck with Memorex DVD+ and -R and RW's.. both the - and + play in my home DVD player, and both the +'s play in my computer drive.

Beware the junk media.

14. cheib

cheib Member

Corey I buy most of my media from yesbuy.net they seem to have some of the cheapest prices going on princo's and ritek media stay away for there sky media though since it is hit or miss with those.

15. koola

koola Guest

No probs with my DD0203. One hell of a DVD writer for under £100!

16. Corey_NY

Corey_NY Member

Guys, Thanks for your help. The drive was shipped and should be here on Wednesday - Yahoo!

17. sync

sync Guest

New firmware available for the 0203. Optorite is the only company I can think of that posts firmware updates and doesn't give you a clue as to what improvements they contain.

18. Telstar

Telstar Member

This has been said before, Optorite din't develop the firmware themselves, instead it just uses the ones developed by Sanyo, and that's the main reason why they don't provide any change log because they really don't know what has been changed. For version 2.23, the only thing for sure is that finally the burned DVD-R discs can be recognized by most PC DVD drives and some standalone DVD players using the same PC drives.

It's a shame that while both Plextor and Optorite use the Sanyo chipsets, Plextor can develop a great burner, but it took Optorite over 6 months just to figure out how to make theirs function properly. The only consolation is that now we have both Lite-On and BTC as the worst dual format burners, and Optorite doesn't own that title any more.

Cheers

19. geocean

geocean Member

Has anyone tried the FW 2.23 yet?

I clicked on it and didn't see anything happening other than a transient show of a blank window. My drive is still 2.16.

20. sync

sync Guest

I couldn't get this update to take in Windows so I downloaded the DOS version and that worked fine.