1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optorite DVD Burner

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Paladin36, Jun 10, 2003.

1. elmoksu

elmoksu Member

I also use DVD Shrink and Nero to burn DVDs. I think this is the easiest way to do it, although I think that DVD Shrink is slower at reencoding then DVD2One, but DVD Shrink offers more options.

I would not recommend DVD XCOPY since I think it sucks compared to DVD Shrink (a completely free shareware program).

Check out http://www.doom9.org/ to download DVD Shrink. Almost all freely available DVD ripping/burning tools I know of are available there.

This is the best site I know of for information, download, and step by step instructions on any video encoding task (DIVX, SVCD, VCD, DVD, etc).

2. brh996

brh996 Member

Ok as reccomended I got hold of Nero 6 Ultra and ditched Easy CD Creator 5. Sure even drive works for CDR and DVDR. One problem, it only burns at 2x, it says maximum speed is only 2x. I can choose 1x or 2x but no 4x.

Are DVDR drives, software, etc. different in that they won't allow you to burn faster than the media is specified for? I know with CDR's I always burn it faster than the speed printed on the package and it works fine.

I ran all the updates for Nero 6 but it still only gives me 2. The discs I have I believe are -R discs.

Is there some kind of utility I can get that will show weather I have +/- discs, who manufactured them, and what speed they are supposedly?

3. lmadern

lmadern Member

You can use dvddecrypter to get that information. All you have to do is put in the media in question, open dvddecrypter and go to ISO read mode and you'll get all the information you could want.

4. brh996

brh996 Member

Do you know weather or not with DVDR media (or atleast with Nero 6 Ultra) it forces you to burn at the reccomended speed?

Any ideas how I can find out if this software is recognizing my drive as DVD-R/DVD+R 4x capable or not?

Any ideas how to fix?

5. lmadern

lmadern Member

The only way I've gotten the drive to burn at 4x speed was with dvddecrypter burning an ISO image onto Ritek G04's. I haven't been able to burn at 4x with Nero or Record Now Max.

6. brh996

brh996 Member

Is it a problem with the drive and/or the software?

7. lmadern

lmadern Member

In a way I think its the drive, but only in so far as the firmware. If you use the recommended media for the drive it will burn 4x no problem. Sooner or later they should come out with a different firmware that will allow the drive to burn to more media at 4x.

8. FunkyBoss

FunkyBoss Member

I just picked up this drive last week. So far, so good! With the latest firmware installed (2.11) everything has been fine. Although I did get an error when launching the program to flash the drive. But it seems to have worked fine.

I initially tried backing up some DVDs using DVDXCopyXPRESS v3.0. The drive is supported in that version of XPRESS, but every time I made a copy, it would start playing the movie and then hang. Since then, I have moved on and have backed up 5 DVDs using the DVD-Shrink/Nero6 combo. What a great combination. All copies have worked great in my stand-alone DVD players.

I also have tried the HD-Burn feature in Nero6. Burned 2 Verbatim CD-Rs at 24x each without problems. Both can now only be read in this drive though. Anyone know of any other drive that will read them?

I also burned a few older Dreamcast backups using DiscJuggler v3.5. Those were fine too.

So in summary, I would have to recommend this drive. I have only burned DVD+R and DVD+RW at 2.4x with FujiFilm DVDs purchased at BestBuy. But that speed is fine by me as long as it works!

9. P1Tom

P1Tom Member

Well I got my Optorite yesterday and have been putting it through the test. I do have some questions and problems for you experts.

Question: My drive didn't come with any kind of Manual at all. All it came with was a quick Installation Guide. Does it suppose to have a manual? I figured it would have something explaining HDBurn because I wouldn't know what it is if I didn't read forums. I could be wrong. (It also came with a Blank That's DVD+R, Gold5 Basic, and MyDVD).. Am I missing anything I suppose to get?

It came with Firmware 2.09 and I haven't updated it yet. Should I?

I have burned a DVD-R with no problems so far on FugiFilm DVD-R at 2X. Didn't know if I should try 4X, should it work with no problems?

I am have trouble with my HDBurn. I got the Update for Recorder Gold5 like the Optorite web site suggested by I still get an error. I am using Imation CD-R's. I just try the simulation on Atapi and it fails. It goes through the motions and reads the files but when it's initializing I get a ATAPI Error (51037303). Not sure what I should do? Any suggestions?
    I also tried Nero 6 and it doesn't seem to recognize the Optorite when I use HDBurn. Nero Recognized it just fine when I burned the DVD-R, so I am not sure. Maybe I am just doing it wrong in Nero.

Thanks for any and all Help!
    P1Tom

10. FunkyBoss

FunkyBoss Member

P1Tom, I would say to upgrade the firmware to the latest version and see what happens.

My drive came the same as yours: No manual, 1 blank DVD+R, MyDVD and B's Recorder Gold 5. I have never even heard of these software packages before. And have also heard of others having problems with them. So I decided to upgrade to the latest version of Nero 6. I think it's 6.0.0.11 and so far I have been fine burning DVDs and using the HD-Burn feature with it.

I also upgraded my firmware right away. Mine came with 2.09 and had read posts elsewhere of others have troubles at this level. 2.11 has been fine for me so far.

11. P1Tom

P1Tom Member

Well I upgraded to Firmware 2.11 but I am still having the same problem with Gold5. When I try to use Nero6 I get a power calibration error, whatever that means. I am using Imation CD-R's and I am think maybe they just don't work with HDBurn and I don't have any other blank CD-r's at the moment to test it on.

Is there anything special I am suppose to do with the HDBurn. I am doing the walkthru with the Wizard but it still gives me errors.

12. FunkyBoss

FunkyBoss Member

Well, I just so happened to have a few types of CD-R media laying around, so I did some HD-Burn tests. Here are the results:

Imation 700MB - Power calibration error (Just like P1Tom)
    Maxell 700MB - Went through the burn process, but CD was unreadable afterwards.
    Verbatim DataLifePlus 700MB - Burn fine, read fine.

So far, it looks like the media for HD-Burn makes a BIG difference and Verbatim are the only ones that I have found to work.

13. brh996

brh996 Member

Do they read just in the optorite burner or also in other dvd writers or rom drives?

14. FunkyBoss

FunkyBoss Member

Looks like the Optorite was the first drive to support HD-Burn. At this point, it appears to still be the only one. Others may support it in the future according to Sanyo. I found this quote on PCWorld.com:

"HD-Burn technology can pack data so tightly that only DVD or DVD/CD laser assemblies can read or write it--after a firmware upgrade."

So it looks like it will only be DVD drives that will support it in the future.

15. elmoksu

elmoksu Member

Hey, can we all try and post which media we've gotten to work at 4x (DVD-R and DVD+R)?

Be specific with prices and media sku numbers please. My goal is to get the cheapest DVD-R and DVD+R media that will burn at 4x with firmware v2.11.

I've only used Piodata DVD-R, they are 4x discs, but only burn at 2x. 25 discs costed me $39.00, and I don't recommend this brand. Bought them at www.avlogic.com

16. P1Tom

P1Tom Member

Why don't you recommend them? Sounds cheap and they still burned at 2X. I have burned FujiFilm V2.0 at 2X. I haven't tried 4X because I didn't want to make a coaster and the optorite site showed 2X on their site as the speed to go with. Anyone try 4X with Fugi?

17. brh996

brh996 Member

So far it seems as though NOONE has done a 4x burn? Is this correct?

18. lmadern

lmadern Member

Nope not correct. I can burn Ritek G04's at 4x but only using Dvddecrypter to burn an iso. I wasn't able to burn at 4x any other way. I am using firmware 2.09 at the moment.

19. P1Tom

P1Tom Member

Is Ritek a brand name? How come I don't see those. I am sorry but I never heard of it besides on this forum.

20. lmadern

lmadern Member

Yeah Ritek is a brand name. They are one of the biggest DVD blank manufacturers around. I get mine from either www.supermediastore.com or www.rima.com. Both suppliers have been really good to me and have some of the best prices that I have found.

Supermediastore also carries some really good and inexpensive -R's made by CD technology. Out of 100 that I've burned(at 2x speed) I've only burned 4 coasters.

Out of 25 Ritek G04's I've burned - zero coasters.

Out of 30 Ritek G03's I've burned - 3 coasters.

The best blanks that I've used so far are Beall from Rima.com. 50 blanks and no coasters. G04's are really good too but more expensive.

Anyway, there you go.