1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Orb (supposedly) works with the 360 now

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by Apathy79, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Apathy79

Apathy79 Member

2. theridges

theridges Guest

yes it works...
    just downloaded it to test it out...
    listened to mp3's and watched a couple of AVI videos
    took about 10 minutes to set it up....

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2007
  3. steimy

steimy Active member

so if you had a choice between Orb and Zune, which one would you take?

4. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

so no more transcoding avi to wmv?????

5. emachine

emachine Guest

What advantages does this have over windows media player 11?

6. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

stream avi, no more transcoding

7. steimy

steimy Active member

TVersity also has one. I have to try some out this weekend and see if i like any. Not a big deal really since the Xbox 1 can already do it and is set up to do it.

8. theridges

theridges Guest

yea thats what i use my original xbox for too now....but yea no more transcoding to wmv it will stream perfect with orb.....

9. caliph

caliph Guest

newb question, but this program allows you too stream music and vids wirelessly from your PC to your xbox 360 like Windows Media Center? also, this supports AVI unlike the the other ones?

10. handsom

handsom Regular member

I'm definitely going to try this when I get home. Definitely.

But I am curious; would this be able to do the same internet workaround that people did with Windows Media Center, that allowed them to browse the web in hi-def on their 360's? We have a media-center pc; but it's my wife's and I'm not particularly keen on using it. I would love to be able to use my media and (If possible) the web features on the 360 with my own computer, which has all my files on it. Watching video files from my pc on the tv, and being able to (possibly) browse the web on my tv in Hi-Def should be great. I use the Wii for occasional internet browsing, but I haven't got progressive cables for it, so it looks really bad right now... I'd much prefer hi-def.

So, if anyone has info on this; I'd love it, if not I'll soon be exploring it myself; and I'll pass on my own results.

11. theridges

theridges Guest

@Caliph
    yes AVI Works and i dont see why wireless wouldnt work....

12. E_Pizza

E_Pizza Regular member

i dont know why but i really dont want to trust this program, for example you have to create an online account to even use the program.

As soon as i started the program and added my media not even using it with my 360 it was using 100% of my CPU on vista.

Ill just stick to transcode 360 and media centre thanks

Last edited: Mar 24, 2007
  13. Apathy79

Apathy79 Member

Try TVersity. I installed that and will never have to use the MC Extender again.

14. theridges

theridges Guest

@E Pizza
    it was scanning all of your media on your computer to update your online library it only does this moreless the first time you have it open if you just let it run you will be cool the next time.....

15. handsom

handsom Regular member

Works great for me, after that initial scan. But I've only dabbled with it yet... Need to see how it does with MKV files... I've got some 1280x960 vids I'd like to view on my tv.

16. xHaydenx

xHaydenx Regular member

How do you actually hook the 360 up to the PC? Do you need a special cord or can you just use the ethernet cable that comes with the 360? And can you use this Orb program with a PC that has Windows XP Pro?

thanks.

17. theridges

theridges Guest

yes the Ethernet that comes with the console will work...
    and yes windows xp pro will work...
    you will need a router or an ethernet port on your pc to create the network connection though...

18. E_Pizza

E_Pizza Regular member

Really? i do apologise maybe i was too quick to judge the program i just assumed that maybe it was collecting data about my files or something. In that case disregard what i said lol :p

I'll give it another shot,

I also notice that in the MC extender it has added custom tabs like shortcuts nifty.

Oh and a word of warning to people who have vista and try to use TVersity. I don't know about anyone else but it doesn't work properly for me on Ultimate even with UAC turned off.

And believe me I've tried everything I'm no chump when it comes to pc's although i don't know everything clearly if anyone has ideas i know its off topic sorry. But please do share, cause i much preferred using it on win XP to transcode 360.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2007
  19. theridges

theridges Guest

the thing with orb...is it allows you to stream your music anywhere not just on your home network...you can go to your friends house and login to your orb account and listen to the music thats on your computer from his house.....

20. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

I haven't tried it yet but it should also work on the PSP. I have been using it for a couple of days with my PS3 and like it. Although I use my Xbox 1 as a media center so I would only use Orb every now and then for any other console (Wii, 360 etc.).