1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Orig.bin is wrong size-aborting message while reading BenQ fw...Please help1

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by andiamo71, Jan 23, 2008.

1. andiamo71

andiamo71 Member

Someone HAS to have had this problem. I'm using iPrep through NTFS4DOS, trying to flash my BenQ drive...I type the dBen command, go through the whole turn on, off, on again thing. As soon as it begins to read my fw, it aborts with the red message, "orig.bin is wrong size, not 256k-aborting". I tried it a couple of times, same result. I've read through the tutorials, but all they tell you is if you get one of these messages, don't go any further or you'll brick your 360! Well, that's fine, but what do I do next?! I went through the forums on here and 360mods, but can't find an answer. I also googel'd it, to no avail. I know I'm not the first person to have this message, but what do I do about it? How do I get my original firmware read so that I can go ahead with saving it and flashing the drive? I'm stuck at a stop sign! Please HELP ME!!!

2. mrleftnut

mrleftnut Member

what kind of sata chipset are you using for this? I recently flashed a BenQ drive with my computer, and i couldnt get it to work with iprep and a via pci sata card so i tried using my onboard nforce4 chipset and DosFlash and it worked fine.

3. andiamo71

andiamo71 Member

I'm using a VIA 6421 RAID card. Since I'm using NTFS4DOS (My pc won't boot from the USB drive), I had partitioned my hard disk, creating an 'E' drive that was just 30gig. Apparently, iPrep must have been trying to use the larger (160gig) 'C' drive, and was giving me the error. I found this out by chance. I re-partitioned my 'C' drive to 25gig, and made the 'E' drive 165gig (the 'D' drive is my dvd drive). After that, I ran NTFS4DOS again, got into iPrep, ran the dben command, and had success first shot! I was amazed at how quickly it erased and flashed the firmware..just a few seconds. Some of these things need to be added to the tutorial, because it just leaves you without a troubleshooting course of action if you get an 'aborting' message. For instance, silly things like typing 'autoexec.bat' to start iPrep 101 from NTFS4DOS are nowhere in the manual. A noob, like myself has to figure these things out by on their own. My only question now is, I have two BENQ.bin files...one labeled CFW, the other OFW in the backups folder for iPrep. I'm assuming OFW stands for 'original firmware'? Is the CFW .bin file my 'hacked' firmware? I saved them both to like four different places (email, flash drive, two different PC's, etc.) just in case.