1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Original DVD menus

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by wirerat, Nov 3, 2002.

1. wirerat

wirerat Guest

What is the process for ripping dvd-9, transcoding, and burining with the original menu.
    I have successfully ripped and burned both dvd-5 and -9. But want to know how to do the -9 and keep the menus.
    Please only respond to the process for keeping the original menus as part of the -9 process. I have used the following tuitorials as guides:
    http://www.hkruse.dircon.co.uk/
    http://www.dvd2dvdr.com/

both have been successful. I don't want to recreate "my own version" of the menus. I want the original. Can it be done? How? Thanks!!!!!!

2. Chrais

Chrais Guest

Hi,

I got exact the same question, can anyone help us please ?

Thanks in advance

Chrais

3. chunkyass

chunkyass Guest

Ok....I am a green newbie with this...but I thought about this for a while when reading the posts.

Here are the options I thought about :

#1)This seems most logical....but wont reencoding it allow it all to fit onto one DVD anyway without the loss of the original menu scheme?

#2) If you are going to split into two DVD's....why not use TMpge to rip .BMP's of each menu. Edit the menu in some BMP editting program if there are options you wont have on the new DVD (ie language selection, chapters not on the disc, etc). From that point on, you could use DVDMaestro to create a new DVD.

I dont know if this will work....I am working on doing my first DVD-9 as we speak

4. slaterm61

slaterm61 Guest

The guide on www.doom9.org details the process in excruciating detail :)

5. RishardC

RishardC Member

You can do it with DVD Maestro, but I never put it in my site for various reasons. Mainly because the original menu will generally mention OTHER things that you probably won't have on your DVD such as special features and such. I don't even bother making a menu anymore because its a COMPLETE waist of time to me. I would rather pop the DVD in and have it start the movie.

6. d0qtrX

d0qtrX Member

I am also a member of the "menus are worthless" camp. I mean, what good are they really? They're a pain in the nuts to make, and serve no real purpose worthy of the headaches they cause.

7. chunkyass

chunkyass Guest

Well....I just rip a picture of the chapter selection screen(s) and then edit the useless things out of them (like back or main menu) and resave as .bmp The bring that pic in with maestro. I have yet to see a menu that is worthless for me.

8. Insite

Insite Guest

Hey, wirerat. Here's how to do it (and I'm assuming that you already know how everything works BUT using the original menu):

Rip the movie.

Use IFO Edit to strip out anything that you don't want. KEEP THE UPDATED IFO FILES FROM THIS STEP!!!!

Create a DVD2AVI project and run it through the VFAPI converter to make your avi for frameserving.

If you want your chapters to fall PERFECTLY on the frame that they're supposed to, you have to enter the information for each chapter into CCE or whatever you use to transcode. Use chapter Xtractor to get the chapter info.
    This ensures that an I frame will fall on the frame that contains your chapter break.
    MAKE SURE CHAPTER XTRACTOR IS SET TO 24 FRAMES AND NOTHING ELSE OR YOUR CHAPTERS WILL BE WRONG (vfapi frameserves at native 24fps).

Transcode.

With IFO Edit, open your original IFO and write down the start times for EACH CELL (not just the chapters).

In Maestro or Scenarist or whatever, enter these cell times AS IF THEY WERE CHAPTERS.

Multiplex.

Move the VOBs to your final directory. SAVE THE IFOs THAT IT JUST CREATED!!

Now, use IFO Update to update the original IFOs (the ones made AFTER you stripped out stuff you didn't want).

Now, copy all of the menu files (vts_x_0.vob, etc.) to your final directory.

Open IFO Edit and correct VTS sectors.

Burn away. Hope this was helpful. Not as complicated as it sounds.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2002