1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem Original Xbox modded dead harddrive data transfer?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360' started by Lukeduke18, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Lukeduke18

Lukeduke18 Newbie

My modded original Xbox harddrive started clicking and gave out on me. How do I transfer all the data to a new harddrive?

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

original xbox is considered to be 1st gen xbox not a 360,is this the case ?

if you can't boot from the drive then the data is lost if its an original xbox drive (1st gen),if you can boot then ftp

if however it's a 360 drive you maybe able to access it with party buffalo from the pc only if the drive works

All things for original xbox
    http://www.theisozone.com/

3. Lukeduke18

Lukeduke18 Newbie

I can still boot it up and everything is still there but it'll randomly start making clicking noises and lag so badly it's unplayable. And yes it is the 1st gen original Xbox NOT an Xbox 360.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

xbox forum was closed a few years ago. you have bad sectors on drive. might be able to use a data recovery program but no guarantee that the data will be useable.

5. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

ftp to pc what you can assuming the drive goes for long enough.Other option make a note of whats on it & you can get most if not all from the link i posted earlier including games (only legacy games can be got there which means all old xbox games).

edit: you might want to web search for coinops 7 it's the 59gb you look for

6. Lukeduke18

Lukeduke18 Newbie

Would it be possible to take the harddrive to a computer store and get them to transfer all the data to another harddrive that's compatible with the Xbox original? I'm not to tech savvy

7. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

No it won't work,there's no OS that can read an xbox hard drive,this is also the reason a recovery software won't work as the software requires an operating system that can see the drive in drive management (Drive will appear blank & most likely require to be set with mbr,as soon as you do that all data will be lost,not even putting it back in the xbox will work as the data won't appear now that the 1st sector has been written to by windows).Not even a cloning software can recover anything from a xbox hdd i know i've tried to clone one to the other ,it failed,not only was g partition missing so was the data to c,e & f & this was from a good hdd

There was a linux OS that could read xbox hdd's however it seems a mission to get it working & is buggy as, i gave up on that one

The only two ways i know of retrieving data is attempting to ftp from the pc to retrieve the data or clone the new hdd within the xbox itself,however the 2nd method won't work as the drive will stop working at some point

FTP is easy,if the drive works for more than 30mins at a time you can retrieve the data tho it'll take a while,however like i said before,you haven't got anything that can't be replaced by re-downloading.

!!!!!!!WARNING!!!!!!!!!!
    DO NOT DO ANYTHING TO THE DRIVE TILL YOU'VE RETRIEVED ALL DATA IN C PARTITION
    if however you have a modchip ignore above warning

Things you need to replace your hdd:

1 x new hdd seagate expansion 2.5" 2tb can be any size but for price 2tb is cheaper
    or
    A seagate or samsung SATA 3 HDD 3.5"

1 x IDE to SATA adapter
    like this one below

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OE-SATA-7-1...003604?hash=item33a74a6894:g:JSkAAOSwDNdVyedB

Lastly you want help with ftp,go grab filezilla & install it to pc.
    then follow this thread as best you can,ignore what any ip address you see yours will be different,however change all user names & passwords to xbox

your xbox must be connected to the same modem/router your pc is

http://forums.afterdawn.com/threads/i-am-having-trouble-ftp-to-original-xbox.760113/#post-5087181

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

scorp, what is the ebay adapter for?

9. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

If OP replaces hdd with what i assume will be a new one (for warranty as IDE's are no longer made) he'll need it.The adapter connects directly to the SATA hdd & the xbox IDE ribbon & molex connect to the other side as you can see in the picture

i have that exact adapter it works well