1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oriphus, Does he live in this forum, Does he exist outside the matrix?

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by SabreLord, Aug 1, 2003.

1. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Somehow I knew that this'll raise some discussions -- again ;-) Football: 22 guys running on a green for 90mins, touching the ball probably once every 5mins for few seconds. Sounds like synchronized jogging to me ;-) The fact that they do that for 45mins at a time also indicates that its not really much of a sport -- try ice-hockey for 10mins on full tempo with no breaks ;-)

(to be perfectly honest, I pretty much hate any televised sport -- only sport events that I ever watch are ice-hockey world championships and football world cup's final -- not semi-finals, etc, just the final)

2. SabreLord

SabreLord Guest

Ice Hockey?

You can't even see the freaking puk half the time. Looks like a load of overpadded tarts all chasing after something that is a figment of their imagination.

The goalie doesn't make great saves like a soccer goalie. He just stands there like a lemon throughout the whole game. When he makes a save most of the time it's a fluke-save, he can't see the puk no one can.

3. baabaa

baabaa Active member

I have been to a couple of Ice Hockey games - man what an atmosphere - the Organ build up the slams against the boards and ooooh yes the Faceoffs........makes you wanna join in.

Then there's the mad brawl around the side of the rink, trying to get your hands on the puk when it comes over the top......LOL

4. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

I suppose thats why ice hockey has the biggest sports follwoing in the world. oh no, wait, thats actually soccer :p

5. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Not tonight Oriphus - efffffing Man Utd.....

6. dRD

Oriphus: Ever wondered that there might an actual natural reason for ice-hockey NOT being the most popular sport in the world?-) Learning to skate even as north as London is rather complicated :)

7. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Learning to skate is not the hardest part. Having Ice, I would say is the limiting factor. Soccer (football) all you need is a ball and some sticks to mark the net. Hockey really needs to be cold, people in Cuba, just can`t breakout into a hockey game.

8. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

LOL - Nah, its really cuz football is so much better. Ill admit there is quite a bit of skill involved in it, but at the end of the day, as Prisoner says, you cant just go out with your mates and play ice hockey can you. You can play ice hockey in your back garden. Football is the greatest sport in the world, has been for a long time and always will be. So Big Bossman hop on the band wagon, and get that football out and go have some fun ;-)

BaaBaa - Man Utd owe me a new remote control since i threw mine out the window after that feckin match. Grrrrrrrrr

9. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Talkin of Ice Hockey - remember Happy Gilmore....

10. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Happy gilmore is a good show. I watched it a few weeks ago with my girlfriend. Its very funny. Adam Sandler has done some great films, and some really poor ones like Punch Drunk Love.

Anyway, Hockey players are puppy's since they have to wear all that protection incase they hurt their wee selves. Awww....poor we fellas

11. dRD

Ever thought that maybe the protection has something to do with the fact that the puck can achieve 200km/h speed in game and it just doesn't hurt you, it kills you if it hits you without protection :) Or to the fact that skates are actually sharp.. Ice-hockey in amateur level is a contact sport (go and watch any British hockey league match :) and in high professional level its not. Pretty much like football -- like I said, I do watch football games -- even that it happens appx. once every 4 years ;-) -- and enjoy them, but basic Premier League, Bundesleague, etc matches are just simply extremely boring (80mins out of 90mins watching correspondence chess would be more exciting), IMHO :)

12. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Ever played Hurly. A Hockey like ball smacked at speeds similar to basedball (90-100mph). they dont wear protection, they even try to block a ball be hit at that spead, generally mid to head hight and higher at those speeds. Atleast with Ice Hockey, the puck is generally going to be mid height or lower. I can understand protection for the ice skates, but like American football, and alll things American, they have gone into overkill mode when it comes to the gear. Also, There is far too much stopping and starting in it. You cant get a rythm of a game going. The reason you arent a fan of football, is because you dont feel passionate about any football team. If you had a passion for a football team i guarantee you would be hanging of the age of your seat in aticipation most of the game. You should get to a football match as being in the stadium gives you such a buzz. Don't being going to Spurs though, they're crap (dont tell Herbsman i said that) LOL

13. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Now I take offence to that comment!!
    Hockey is not American, It Canadian. The american pretty boys you can pick out of a croud. The real Canadian`s you know because they don`t have any teeth. I am with the boss, the flow of Hockey I like beter. And how many times to you see blood on a soccor field and not just in the stands? Hockey you get it ever where.
    With that said I am following the Canadians Womens soccor team. I hope they break through to the final game.

14. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

lol - we know why u are following a female soccer team. You like to see a lot of bouncing around on the field and the women in control of the ball ;-)

15. lannigan

lannigan Regular member

That was a good one. LOL

16. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

No, Yes, No oh maybe so. THe best thing about womens soccor is you can watch it with the girlfriend and no complants. As it looks like your suporting women.
    Also Canadian team looks good, beat China. Canada may not completely suck when comes to soccor. But this being A womens team, That may be a true statement. But lets not go there.

17. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

lol - my girl would be complaining about it and calling me a pervert. Thats what she says when i watch womens beach volley ball. Now theres a sport to be proud to watch ;-D

18. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Teehee too funny.

19. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Oh the upset, Canada looses 2:1 to sweeden. Sweeden did play better, and if Canada did win it would have been just lucky. I hope Sweeden wins now, so Canada lost against the worlds best team. I don`t thing we will fair well against the US, but should be interestin game.
    Oriphus, how the matrix lately? the new preview is pretty amazing.

20. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Im tired and not quite following you im afraid. Sorry