1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OS/ dvd burning programs

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Redtail1, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Redtail1

Redtail1 Member

Like most people I am new DVD burning, and course I have alot questions. So forgive!

I work with burning CD-rw's, but dvd is new to me. For the past month or so I have reading alot postings,and come to information overload.

First question: what is the OS to use when burning any DVD (Ex: Windows 98se, windows 2000 or XP?

Next question maybe what the person like in software, What software is for general copying like data?

I see posting about shrink, decripter (sp) Nero, etc.. I not quite sure what programs need to work together or if they need to work together.

So if anyone could give me better picture or maybe starting point.

Thanks in advance!!

2. Syxx_Nyne

Syxx_Nyne Member

any os will usually do, it really depends on ur hardware if u have a fast enuf system ur set,
    Dvd cloning- I use AnyDvd and Clonedvd2 From slysoft, work beautifully together, alot of users here recommend dvd shrink and dvd decrpytor i cuz they are free, the other to u gotta pay for or get from someone who has em, after that i usually use nero for everything else it burns cd/dvd/hd/ whatever ur needs maybe

3. RussReef

RussReef Guest

Operating system doesn't matter.

I used DVDshrink to rip and Nero to burn. Lots of people have sucess with the DVDshrink and Nero software combination.

4. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

You can downloand Shrink and Decrypeter for free. This is all you really need for software.

5. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

Hello everyone,

Here's my 2 cents worth.

PC: AMD 1Ghz PC with 256Mb
    DVD Burner: LG-4040B (4x)
    Media used: E3Works DVD-R 4x & Ridata DVD-R 4x

With the above config, if I burn at 4x, my DVD playback with skip and freeze sometimes.

Now, I just received a new PC.

PC: P4 - 3.2 Ghz with 512 Mb DDR2 Ram @ 533 Mhz
    DVD Burner: Philips DVD8631

I use the SAME Media, burned at 4x, and I have no more freezing and skipping.

Therefore, I have prooved (to me) that the new computer can feed the DVD burner, without stopping (I assume) and the end results are way better on this new and super fast PC.

My 2 cents for what it's worth :)

6. Redtail1

Redtail1 Member

Thanks everyone for the replies! What is everyone using for OS system for burning DVD? I know I can d/l some of program for free, but do you mostly use shrink or decripter to burn? Do you need both for burning?

Thanks

7. Syxx_Nyne

Syxx_Nyne Member

gotta use both dvd decryptor and dvd shrink together
    1. dvd decryptor to get rid of the css encryption on ur dvds
    2. dvd shrink to compress ur dvd files to 4.7g instead of 9g which is what bought or rented dvds are usually sized at; u also use dvd shrink to burn the dvd

8. zippyd

zippyd Active member

The OS is not extremely important, but there are some things that differ. I'm not 100% certain, but I believe that ME and XP are the only ones that support NTFS format(someone please confirm or correct me). The older versions only support FAT32 which has a 4GB file size limit. This can be a problem considering almost all movies are over 4GB. The newest shrink and decrypter work around it by splitting ISOs. I really don't know about other backup programs.

9. Redtail1

Redtail1 Member

Thanks everyone for the information. On the OS, I am guessing the XP would be the best to run under.

One other question. I have DVD X Copy (gold) which I got long time ago, rather before I had DVD burner. Would it be better to go with Shrink and decryptor or dvd xcopy (gold)?

I already have Nero 5.5.x.56 upgraded 6 from CD burning days. If anyone is wondering the DVD burner is Nec ND-3500A. I bought few DVD-rw to practice with to I get the hang of the DVD burner.

Thanks!!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2005
  10. Redtail1

Redtail1 Member

Another quick question, I set aside 40gb for temp area. Is enough space working with DVD burning..

Thanks

11. zippyd

zippyd Active member

Oh yeah that's probably double what you need.