1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OS question

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by toapro, Jun 21, 2004.

1. toapro

toapro Member

Hey..I run my PC with Win xp but i really want to check out linux...right now i have 2 hds in...a 20 gig with windows on it...and an 80 gig with a shiz load of stuff on it like games and progs and stuff. I just ordered a 200 gig hd that im thinking about puting linux on. Is there any way that i can have all three hd's hooked up and when i turn on my computer be able to select which os to run?

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Both Windows and Linux have bootmanagers that you can install ... i'd reccomend you use the linux one as it's easier to find and configure :) (during the installation of Linux, it should ask you about installing a bootmanager)

3. toapro

toapro Member

Thank you soooooo much..lol

4. Xian

Xian Regular member

If you only want to check out Linux, why not try Knoppix? It runs from cd so all you have to do is boot the cd and it will autodetect your devices and set up KDE, Open Office, and many other programs. The ISO is a free download.

If you are running NT/2000/XP the built in boot manager will work ok to dual boot. It relies on the information in boot.ini. I agree with Praetor that the LILO boot manager is easier to configure than the Windows one.

5. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Very nice concept and implementation unfortunately hobbled by transfer rates of optical drives :) (that's my reason at least hehe)