1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other media for backups

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by Kman2025, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Kman2025

Kman2025 Member

hi,
    everyone on these forums seems to say verbatim is the best media for burning backups but using AONE DVD+R DL from ebuyer.co.uk i get absolutely perfect backups time after time and they are printable, £5 for 10 disks thats around $10 in US currency. Compared to verbatim these are dirt cheap. What is the advantage, if any of shelling out so much on verbatim media? I've heard cheaper media damages the laser, is this true?

2. budro

budro Regular member

yeah, cheap media makes the laser work harder, so i would strongly suggest sticking with verbatim. i once recommended aone, but not anymore.

3. pcrazy99

pcrazy99 Regular member

All I use is Verbatim. I'd rather not experiment with cheaper brands. You always get what you pay for.

4. pilferd

pilferd Regular member

i was about to make a similar thread, How do u tell if ur media is "Cheap"?

i ordered verbatim discs online should be here in a few days, meanwhile i have around 30-40 Office Depot and Staples DVD+R DL's that i use for PS2 DVD9's ... figured while i wait i'll check them out ...

Office Depot 2.4x media burned at 1x works perfect so far ... matter fact when i put it in my burner, IMGBurn recognises them as Ritek (which i hear was great for PS2 backups) ... decent load times and no skips ... but how do i know if the media im using is harmful too my lens?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2007
  5. steimy

steimy Active member

well, people seem to miss the big picture. Good media is not always about whether the game back up you made will work or not. It is about what type of dye the manufacturer uses. The dye will determine how long the disc will last before it starts to wear out, and how much extra stress it could cause your laser.

Best way to find out about your media is with a DVD identifier program. I think Nero can do it and also i think there are programs called DVDinfo & DVD identifier and then match the results against this guide
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

most media is made by one or another of the common manufacturers so you should find it

And although $10 for 10 discs is a good price i am only paying about $5 more for the same amount of Verbatim. Well worth it if my $400 system doesn't crash.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2007
  6. batespcm

batespcm Guest

in the uk Verb's arte so expensive about £18 $36 Dollars for FIVE

I use HP discs and have never had a coaster

7. pilferd

pilferd Regular member

thanks alot ... exactly what i needed to know ...

the Office Depot DVD+R DL are recognized as Ritek D01's (3rd Class media) ...

i wont be backing up my favorite games on these ;)

8. Severeth

Severeth Regular member

I use the office depot Riteks with no problems. So far