1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Out Of Memory Error

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by aldosarmy, May 2, 2005.

1. aldosarmy

aldosarmy Member

Hi first time using this forum and this program. Dvd Shrink kept crashing on me when trying to shrink from a disk so haveing read through a few posts i used dvd decrypter to rip the disc and then shrink that way see if that was any better.

Having ripped it i loaded it up into dvd shrink and this time all the menus and stuff down the left hand side came up so it looked like it was working. I went into the edit>preferences to change them to what most of the forum thought they should be, dvd5 i had it on. i then created a folder to store the files before i burnt so i could check the quality.

When i pressed backup it told me the file size was too big, checking the bar at the top it hadnt reached red and was still in green so i said ignore and then when it starts encoding, it gave the error

DVD shrink has encountered and error and cannot continue

out of memoru

parameter is incorrect

looked through the forum and cant find anything on it, can anyone help.

I have reinstalled and have the latest versions of each software

2. aldosarmy

aldosarmy Member

Forgot to add, i have 6gb out of 80gb left on my hd

3. zippyd

zippyd Regular member

you should seriously try to free up some hard drive space. 6 gig just won't cut it. you should have a minimum of 12 when doing dvd backups in my opinion.

4. aldosarmy

aldosarmy Member

now freed up 15gb and still the same error

5. Veblin

Veblin Active member

6. aldosarmy

aldosarmy Member

yes its in file mode, there is an output folder with all the vobs and stuff as opposed to and iso file.

7. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

Did you go to custom size on the shrink in preferences set it to about 4365 or so? What is it set at?

8. aldosarmy

aldosarmy Member

it was set to automatic, tried setting it to custom, i think its cause the file is to big tried it with another dvd and its worked fine, however this without any menus just the movie and english sound and at 51% is still too big

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

You forgot to mention that you were using re-author. That's what costs you your menus.

What pray tell, is this "Monster" film ?

10. aldosarmy

aldosarmy Member

wasnt using re-author. just leaving how it was when it shrunk it came out at 4.6gb i then uncked the boxs on the right hand side and still to big.

It is a wwf tagged classic dvd that a mate wants me to copy for him so he can send the dvd back. i have done now 3 other tagged classics with no bother but this comes out too big for some reason, the event is called "one night only" i have deleted everything and am trying again

11. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

If you didn't use re-author there's no reason why you should have lost your menus. Only re-author renders the menus gone -

To make it fit, here are 2 options . . .

Option 1. Editing

If you would like, as I do, to get rid of all the extras and trailers thus compressing your movie as little as possible (giving you the very best quality picture), click "Re-author" then, under "Main Movie" select "Title 1"

If there are additional choices, look at the time and select the title with the longest time as that is usually the main attraction. "Click" and drag the "Title 1" from the right-hand side of the screen to the left-hand side, under the "DVD Structure" (DVD) and release it there.

Additional editing may be done by using the "Start" "Finish" controls to the right of the "DVD Compilation" heading on the left-hand side of the Re-author window. This allows you to trim off some of the beginning of the movie OR trim off the credits at the end if you want. To tell you the truth, it is only very rarely that I trim anything from the main feature. Using this feature allows you to reduce the main feature to the same size as your DVD-5 disc without any compression, providing you with an exact copy of the movie. Something else to consider, when ignoring this feature and compressing the entire DVD to fit on a single disc (a "Full Backup") I have never been able to distinguish any loss of picture quality with the naked eye.

Bingo, Bango, you are done editing, giving you the least compression (best quality), backup possible. Now click "Backup" to complete your backup process -

NOTE: DO NOT CLICK ON "FULL DISC". Doing that re-sets the movie and eliminates your editing. From the re-author go directly to "Backup".

Option 2.

Run the files through DVD Shrink using all the quality enhancements (Deep Analysis & Maximum Smoothness) and send it to your HD. THEN run it through a second time to disc. Even running it through Shrink 2X will still gives you a good quality backup. Before you even think to cast doubt, try it, you will be surprised.

Cheers,

Pete

12. aldosarmy

aldosarmy Member

right done everything you said scuba and still wont work.

1. decrypted using dvd decrypter output file is 7.9gb

2. opened dvd shrink and the following is in the left hand side

menus 0.28mb
    main movie 4,567mb
    extras 23mb
    unreferenced material 30mb

The dvd is basiaclly a menu then the main feature

3.the green bar just turns red at the end totaling 4,630mb

4. theres only one audio track

5. the main feature is 3hr 17mins 19 seconds

6. press backup tells me its to big, i proced anyway

7. compression is set to auto

8. dvd shrink has encountered and error and can not continue, out of memory , parameter is incoreect

13. falconet

falconet Guest

When you have problems with DVD Shrink, especially with
    'running out of memory' kind of thing, it's because
    the manufacterer of that dvd you are trying to copy
    wants this to happen. For instance, Sony has implemented recently
    ACCros, a new dvd protection. It can be fought off
    by installing AnyDvd 5.1.0.1 It also helps to have DVD Region Free plus Css Decrypter installed. You can bet you will never run out of memory again when using DVD Shrink.

14. little155

little155 Regular member

I was having the very same problem and I upgraded (doubled) my RAM and am having no problems, since.

15. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

aldosarmy,

The solution to your problem is simple. However to keep all the functioning of your backup and to do it correctly PLEASE follow these directions exactly.

1. Rip with DVDD in the ISO Read Mode.

Pickup with Shrink by going to FILE - Open Disc Image.

Allow Shrink to analyze. Keep compression on automatic; delete those audio tracks not needed, foreign languages, etc.

Click "Backup".

In the Quality Controls tab, "tick" Deep Analysis.
    In the Quality Controls tab, "tick" Maximum Smoothness.

DO NOT BACKUP TO DISC

Backup to HD in ISO Image.

THEN,

Open Shrink again, pickup the last ISO image by going to FILE then Open Disc image. Allow to compress a second time, then Backup and burn to disc in ISO image using DVDD.

A perfect backup !

Cheers,

Pete

Last edited: May 20, 2005
  16. cynthia_

cynthia_ Regular member

Hi ScubaPete!

I'm not sure if ripping in ISO mode is the best way. For DVDs that do have structure protection (ARccOS) the default setting in DVD Decrypter don't cure the problem with the 3-7 minutes of blank space before the main movie starts. According to the author of DVD Decrypter this is because ISO mode is mainly for 1:1 copies where there is no reason to remove the blanks.

So either ripp in file mode or enable the option 'Remove IFO Structure Protection' when you ripp in ISO mode.

There is also a bug in ISO mode that will be fixed in the next public release of DVD Decrypter. This bug can give you an error code in DVD Shrink. http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49513

17. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi cynthia_, long time no visit :)

Thanks for the "heads up" on the error caused by DVDD in the ISO Mode when working with DVD Shrink. I was not aware of it and have not run across it at anytime while doing numerous "episodel" DVD's. Probably 25 + episodel discs within in the last 3 weeks alone. Perhaps I have just been lucky (knock, knock). At least if the problem comes up, you have saved me research time in your forum. Once again, thanks for the, "heads up".

The error aldosarmy was having occurred while ripping in the File mode also (see his post - 10 posts up). It appeared that his problem was in the size of the file after 1-pass with DVD Shrink.

As was mentioned in your forum, perhaps the next release by Lighting_UK will put an end to it :)

Hopefully aldosarmy has solved his problem as we've heard nothing from him since the 6th.

Iffin' you run into Denis, please pass on my "Hello's" -

Again, you input is, as always, welcome -

Cheers,

Pete