1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Out of Memory" - Paging file... error message

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by smaue, Sep 6, 2004.

1. smaue

smaue Member

In attempting to backup "Toy Story" I received an error reading "DVD Shrink encountered an error and cannot continue - Out of Memory - The paging file is too small for this operation to complete." I have used DVD Shrink 3.2 quite often, and this is the first time I've received any error. I have approximately 9 gig free and the DVD is only 4.9 in the first place. I should have plenty of room. I have also tried DVD Decrypter first to see if it was a problem with the DVD or DVD drive. Please help.

2. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya,

Could be a memory leak.
    Could be a corrupt program.
    Could be a corrupt OS.

Start the PC.
    Run the Task Manager and have it on the Performance tab.
    Move the Task Manager window to one side of the screen (so it will not interfere with Shrink when you open it).

Run Shrink with NO DVD in the drive.

Take note of the MEM usage level.

Insert Toy Story and proceed as you would normally.

What you will be doing is watching the MEM usage (and the graph alongside) to see if memory is being allocated and not released - if the MEM usage level approaches 80% of your Limit figure then summat is wrong.

Change to the Processes tab.

Highlight Shrink in the list and take note of the Mem usage figure.

Compare that figure to the MEM usage figure from the Performance tab.

If the figures are wildly different it is not Shrink at fault - in that case you will have to look elsewhere for a corrupt process (Mem usage figures in the Processes list give a good indication of the culprit).

If you have identified a suspect, stop it and look at the MEM usage figure from the Performance tab.

If the MEM usage figure has dropped drastically when you shut down the suspect, then you have your culprit.

Repeat the above as needed.

Have Fun...

3. twenze

twenze Member

I am getting the same message about the paging file is too small for the operation to be completed. What needs to be done to burn a movie successfully?

4. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

Hi all. :)

I'd like to add to drchips' suggestions:
    Make sure your hard-drive is not heavily fragmented. ;)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

For DVD Shrink and related softwares guides and information, please visit http://www.dvdshrink.info[/small]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2004