1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Out of Slots!

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by KillerBug, Jun 1, 2009.

1. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

Am I the only one that is tired of ATX? That is, are there others here that need more than 7 card slots? I don't even have two video cards and I have no more slots! It seems like there is no such thing as a single-slot high-end video card anymore...get two for SLI/Crossfire, and you are down to 3 slots...add a tv tuner, sound card, and RAID controler...and you are out of room; no way to install a hardware NIC!

Who do I complain to?

2. dailun

dailun Active member

I have a Dell server at work that can accomodate 7 PCI-e HBAs at one time.

You could try one of those.

ATX is just a motherboard form factor physical size. There are larger form factors if your case can accomodate them.

3. djscoop

djscoop Active member

what pisses me off is that all the cards I have are PCI format. all the new mobos now only have one or two PCI slots, the rest being the newer PCI-e format. its annoying that there's nothing wrong with my audio card, network car, or IDE RAID card, but now i have to buy new ones because new mobos hardly support standard PCI anymore.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

sounds like uatx boards that only have maybe at most 3 pci slots. regular atx boards are bigger so have more slots on them.