1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Out of Sync

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by JXBlack, Jun 6, 2007.

1. JXBlack

JXBlack Regular member

Most items I download are xvid and I use Im TOO to convert them to DivX which is required by my DVD Player. Occasionally this process puts the sound out of sync. In other words the file as downloaded is in sync.....but the conversion puts then out of sync. Usually these items claim to be DivX on their opening screen but are in fact xivd according to G-Spot. I am looking for an alternate way to convert to DivX and would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

2. attar

attar Senior member

Xvid and DivX are practicably interchangeable.Are you sure the player wont accept XVID?
    An easy way is to use fourcc code changer.

Open the Xvid file and change 'description' and 'used' to 'divx' (type it in).
    That way, no conversion is needed.Worth a try.
    http://www.divx-digest.com/software/avifourcc.html

Last edited: Jun 6, 2007
  3. JXBlack

JXBlack Regular member

Thanks a lot.
    Your solution works great.

4. ugc

ugc Regular member

JXBlack>
    Just wondering?, what happens if you don't do anything to your xvid.avi? Your player will/will not play it?

I have an old cheap divx/dvd player, and it plays xvid without any problems.

5. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

The problem is the fourCC's. DivX and Xvid are both just implimentations of MPEG-4 Part 2 video encoders, but when stored in an avi container they both have different 4CC's. Still yes most players support XVID, but there were a couple of Sony's that didn't. Stupid move IMO since most of the content played back on DivX players is actually Xvid. At least one of the Sony players I think had a firware update which amoungst other things added Xvid support.

6. JXBlack

JXBlack Regular member

My Sony absolutely will not play an XivD. Actually I spoke too soon about the success of the FourCC change.
    Case#1 Worked perfectly when only the FourCC was changed.
    Case#2 Required FourCC change and a run thru ImTOO
    Case#3 Is immune to both procedures...still out of sync
    Case#4 When run thru either procedure...plays in 2 languages at the same time.

Is their anything else I can try besides changing DVD players?

Thanks again

7. ugc

ugc Regular member

how about what celtic_d said, have you checked to see if you could update the firmware in the player? Just a thought.

8. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

For at least one of the effect Sony players I know that there never was a firmware update.

Changing the 4CC will allow it to recognise a file. If there are any other issues with the file such as GMC or anything else that the player can't handle, then it still won't work.

From recollection, the player is MTK based, which means that it may also have problems with multiple bframes and packed bitstream. Also fixed on most players via a firmware update.

If you are having sync issues, then the best advice I can give is to stick with CBR audio.

Multiple languages would either suggest multiple audio streams with the player decoding all at the same time or left/right channels being used for different languages.

9. MasterChu

MasterChu Guest

Moving to Langjökull in Iceland - so all the info I posted is moving with me!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2007