1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Out-there PC Builds --or-- The Digital Whiteboard from Hell

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by nhall, Jun 25, 2007.

1. nhall

nhall Member

Ok, so I'm brand new to the board here, and it looks like a good community. So I figured I'd start by saying Hi! Now, to business. This thread is intended for two things:

One, What's the most INSANE PC build or mod you've ever done? I mean the coolest beast you've ever put together.

Two, I'm in the conceptual stages of a project I like to call "The Digital Whiteboard" Basically, I want to create the Whiteboard of the future. It needs to show a fading slideshow of my pictures, display data I place on it, and take notes from visitors... all this without a keyboard. The trick is, it needs to be less than four inches thick, and uplink wirelessly to SUMInet, my self-constructed network. The goal is to do all this for less than five hundred dollars.

I'd like to follow the template for the $72 computer as printed in this month's issue of popular science for the core system. Obviously, $72 isn't going to construct any speed demon by today's standards, but it'll get the job done. I'll post detailed specs on it later. The hard part is the software, and the touchscreen interface.

For the touchscreen, I'd like to start by using a salvaged LCD from an old laptop, outfitted with a touchscreen add-on from touchscreens.com.

More to come....

If anyone has any ideas, opinions, etc -- please -- post them!

2. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

First off, excellent post nhall :)

As for the baddest beast ever built... look at my sig lol

I'm proud of my build :)

Anyhoo, a digital whiteboard? Are there any specific dimensions you want? I know, less than four inches thick. But how big?

You could easily fit a budget barebones slim laptop on the back of a cheapo widescreen LCD monitor. Turn it sideways and you have an easel/whiteboard for writing/pictures/touchscreen calculator.

I suppose it would take some doing but a software mod might be feasible for something of this nature. Don't ask me. I do hardware.

As for a network uplink. You could introduce your network to the internet through a secure connection. Then you could use a wireless satellite card in the laptop to connect to the network through a proxy or something of that nature.

With this you could store media, photos, documents, presentations. Anything you could normally do.

Sounds a bit expensive but with the right bargains I can see it for $500 easily.

Are you an inventor or just someone looking for a personal solution? Looking to mass produce?

Anyway, I'll post tomorrow so watch for an answer if you reply.