1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

(OUTDATED) Guide: How to load Recovery Mode using the Network Update icon or run it under Game [Archive Reference Only]

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Homebrew software' started by ThisDude, Feb 10, 2007.

1. ThisDude

ThisDude Regular member

I make these guides because when I was new to the PSP Hacking Community, I did not know anything at all until I had help from fellow afterDawners. (Thank you!) And I just thought I should contribute something back so I decided to make guides.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This app was just released today - (10-Feb-07)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This app released by "Team 280" allows you to run "Recovery Mode" via "Network Update" or "Game" without the need of rebooting the PSP.
    NOTE: This includes flashing your PSP and if you don't want your PSP to be a paperweight then I suggest you not to try this. I DO NOT take responsibility if you brick your PSP. (YOU'VE BEEN WARNED)
    I'll try and keep this guide up to date as much as I can.

I've tried this already and I can confirm that this works

EDIT: A thank you would be nice if this guide worked for you.

This will only work on CUSTOM FIRMWARE 3.03 OE-X & 3.10 OE-X (TheKetchupMan, a member of Team 280 said this MIGHT work on 3.02 OE-X.)
    EDIT:

I have made this guide as noob friendly and hassle free as possible.

Follow this guide completely in every steps and it will work:

1.) Download "A PRX that launches Recovery Mode" - (There's no official name for this app yet):
    HERE: http://dl.qj.net/PRX-that-luanches-...mebrew-Applications/pg/12/fid/12633/catid/151
    2.) Extract it using "WinRAR". (Search on "Google" if you don't have this)
    3.) These should be the files you extracted from "WinRAR": "PSP" folder & "update_plugin.prx"
    4.) Copy the folder "PSP" and "update_plugin.prx" to the "ROOT" Folder of your "PSP MEMORY STICK". (E.G. X) - (X as in the drive letter of your PSP) - (Just allow it to overwrite, it will only add extra files and folders)
    5.) Exit from "USB Connection"
    6.) Then in "XMB" go to "GAME" -> "Memory Stick" -> and start "Update Flash v0.1"
    7.) Press "X" to flash. After flashing the "PSP" will reboot itself.
    8.) Now that your "PSP" has rebooted run "USB Connection"
    9.) Now click on your "Network Update" icon and see if "Recovery Mode" runs. If it does than exit "Recovery Mode". Now back in "XMB" enter "Game" then "Memory Stick" and run "Recovery Mode 3.03 OE-C if that works too then congratulations you've successfully installed "A PRX that launches Recovery Mode".
    10.) Now access your "PSP" Drive and delete the following files in the "ROOT" of your Memory Stick:
    "update_plugin.prx"
    "update_plugin.prx.tmp"

Now enter "PSP" -> "GAME" and delete the "FLASHUPADTE" folder. But NEVER delete or move the folder "GOTORECOV" in PSP\GAME
    Note 1:

If you can't load it from the "Network Update" icon then the chances are you have enabled some plugins. Some plugins will prevent this app from starting from the "Network Update" icon. But will have no effect if you load the "Recovery Mode 3.03 OE-C" from the "GAME" menu.

Hope this has solved the confusion.
    Note 2:

This couldn't have happened without:
    Team 280 - for this AWESOME app
    and
    The people who made this site of course!!
    Please give me a message if you are going put my guide elsewhere and you can also give me a PM if you have problems too of course
    Anything wrong with the guide just tell me.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2007
  2. hodgins91

hodgins91 Regular member

wow sounds cool, ill give it a try in the morning

3. SystmNukr

SystmNukr Guest

This didn't work, i followed everything but when i try to flash it, it says "Flash failed".
    Its probably because i removed some update things on f0...

4. ThisDude

ThisDude Regular member

this probably will not work if you have changed your flash files before.
    and this will not work if you do not have 3.02 OE-X or above.

5. Bobman32x

Bobman32x Member

hmm i really dont see the point of recovery mode from INSIDE the XMB, as recovery mode is for repairing if you messed up, which wouldnt even allow u to access the xmb. And if you just want a previous version, just use the auto-roll back hexitnow made.

though it is a nice bit of coding and a good feature if your going to use it

6. Numberdah

Numberdah Member

Yeah, I see what you're saying but the Recovery Mode isn't just for recovering from a bad flash. The Recovery Mode also gives you access to advanced features of the custom firmware such as enabling/disabling .prx files, USB access to your flash, enabling/disabling No UMD mode, etc. If you don't want to reboot your PSP every time you want access to these features, then that's where this app comes in handy. Maybe the term "Recovery Mode" should be changed to "Bios Mode" or "Dark_AleX Mode" or something because being able to recover your PSP is just one feature of this mode.

7. Bobman32x

Bobman32x Member

well shit im an idiot. I thought you meant this will launch the recovery eboot:p Thanks for explaining it to me, as nw im definetly using it, as i find myself restarted a ton for recov mode:p

8. Bobman32x

Bobman32x Member

hmm. I usedit but the network icon just restarts the PSP. the launcher in the game menu works, but the network icon one doesnt:(

9. ThisDude

ThisDude Regular member

If you can't load it from the "Network Update" icon then the chances are you have enabled some plugins. Some plugins will prevent this app from starting from the "Network Update" icon. But will have no effect if you load the "Recovery Mode 3.03 OE-C" from the "GAME" menu.

Hope this has solved the confusion.

10. powerwhee

powerwhee Member

Well, it works to load 3.03 OE-C recovery mode, but I can't do anything. If I say, go to enable Flash0, it doesn't let me. It just freezes, I then have to take out the battery, and If i do it the old fashion way it works, without freeing. Any help, Oh and when it was flashing right in the middle of flashing it said, This Game cannot be started, and closed, but I got the program at game, and I could go to the recovery but with the aformentoined problems.

Also, can I delete the folder GOTORECOV, if i DONT want the app anymore, or can I never delete it, and I i do it will brick my PSP.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2007
  11. ThisDude

ThisDude Regular member

If you look at "No.10" of my guide you would see that you MUST "NEVER delete or move the folder "GOTORECOV" in PSP\GAME". Or "Recovery mode" will not work.

12. powerwhee

powerwhee Member

Oh okay, so If i delete it all it will do is just delete Recovery from the menu.

13. ThisDude

ThisDude Regular member

Yes you can delete it, once you deleted it it will be removed from the game menu. But the files that you flashed to Network Update would still be there. To be safe I recommend you to downgrade down to 1.50 then back up to 3.10 OE-A'.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2007
  14. powerwhee

powerwhee Member

Recovery Mode doesn't work at ALL. It just goes into recovery mode, but I can't do anything. Any help?

15. johnc1234

johnc1234 Regular member

i want to use this at location free icon? any way how to do it

16. johnc1234

johnc1234 Regular member

what is the name of the location free prx

17. ThisDude

ThisDude Regular member

To powerwhee

What do you mean?

Johnc1234

You'll have to hex edit it.

18. johnc1234

johnc1234 Regular member

no i dont i figured it. rename it lftv_plugin.prx and put it in Flash0:vsh/nodule XD

19. ThisDude

ThisDude Regular member

You have to hex edit it.

20. johnc1234

johnc1234 Regular member

lol i dont coz i got it workin now. an i never hex edited nothin.