1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outer Ring on PS2 DVD's

Discussion in 'PS2' started by AngelusX, Jan 23, 2007.

1. AngelusX

AngelusX Member

Hello.

I was wondering if you guys could answer a question for me. On the bottom of PS2 DVD's there is a silver ring around the outer circumference of the disc. Does that ring typically contain data? What is it's purpose? Thanks in advance.

2. sunburstX

sunburstX Member

It has a code that the PS2 scans in order to see it's a legal game, you cannot reproduce this barcode.

3. AngelusX

AngelusX Member

Thanks.

Some more quick questions. Can the slim line's disc brake scratch it up? I noticed that when inserting discs the brake is sometimes right underneath the edge of the disc. However, when I close the lid it sets itself back into the correct postion which is obviously on the side. The brake seems like it always making contact on the very edge then adjusting around the disc when I lock it into place. I never noticed this on my friend's slim. Is it suppose to do this? The reason I ask is some of my games extend all the way to the very end of the disc instead of there being a thin 2-3mm clear plastic rim .I'm nervous I might ruin my games by scratching up the edges or that special ring. I just got the slim.

Hmm. on another forum someone said that the outer ring is where the data ends and that the ring with the code is actually in or near center. Who is correct?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2007