1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outlook express

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by clockman1, Jun 19, 2004.

1. clockman1

clockman1 Member

When I add a contact to my address book it leaves a temporary file on my desktop. I have searched microsoft web site and can't find any info there on this matter. Can anyone tell me where to find a fix for this problem.

2. baabaa

baabaa Active member

The '~' file is not a major issue, apparently it is the backup file of your address book, that is saved in the wrong place - bug in XP.........

Therefore as you said, everytime you add to the address book - a backup is produced and is dumped to your desktop........

I do not save anyone in my address book now - turned it off in options - and now it does not appear....but if it did, I would just delete it anyway.....

This happened to me ages ago.....check out the thread I started http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/51467

Never seen it come back as of yet, but there maybe a patch out now but not sure........

3. Derr_lol

Derr_lol Member

Hmm what is the easiest way to explain this because I dont know how much you already know well I say it simply first, look it C: drive go to program folder open it and find the outlook express folder and open it, see if there has been a shortcut created for your address book: WAB.EXE or WABMIG.EXE if you cant find it there type these into search and see how many of the same file names you have if there is more than one check the properties if it is a shortcut delete it.
    There is a patch for outlook express also with Microsoft I downloaded it myself but I have never had that problem with my address book though.

4. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Yes that is where the exe is located, and by double clicking on it within windows, should display your address book etc...

However, the bug in earlier versions seems to save it to the desktop - I think this has actually been written in the original program and therefore there should be a patch available for it...which I think is at the site below - do not know whether it works or not as I haven't tried it.......

This is where I got my information from.

http://www.pchell.com/support/tildefile.shtml

Hope it may clarify things........................Byeeeee!!!!!!
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Beware of the Pixies - they move in over night and turn your life upside down

[​IMG] [​IMG] [/small]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2004
  5. clockman1

clockman1 Member

I found a better way to correct this problem. Download the free netscape navigator program and start using it and quit using internet explorer and out look express altogether. You can import your email messages and address book to netscape and setup ypor email account to use netscape navigator.

6. baabaa

baabaa Active member

LMAO clockman1...............

Nice one, changing software normally does the trick.

Have a nice day...................