1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Over 4 hours to backup a disk???

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Acme8790, Aug 9, 2004.

1. Acme8790

Acme8790 Member

I am useing an older computer to work with, it is a Pentium Celeron 666mhz (I think)
    191 meg or ram (what is said in the system)
    10 gig HD and a 40 gig HD (use the 40 gig to work with)
    I am also running windows 98 second edition

For the process I use shrink version 3.2 The encoding process takes over 2 hours alone. Then when I go and put the dvd-r in the drive for the backup it takes another 2 hours.

The burner is a Pioneer A05 Max burning speed is 2x but I do get the option to use 4 times but dont.

Till it is all said and done the whole process took 4 hours and 26 minutes the last time.

Is it the computer? I have a brand new pentium 4 2.2 ghz with 256 ram and a 40 gig hd but the wife does not want me to add a new drive to a brand new computer. If someone out there could help I would appreciate it. Thanks

2. Whitfield

Whitfield Regular member

I don't know if I should answer you because I am fairly new to this forum as well--but, I saw that nobody responded to you yet--so here is what I think--Yes, it is your system (slow and low RAM)--for DVD copying applications anyway--I recently got a new computer and it has 512 RAM which increased copying speed considerably, but still less than many of the advisors in this forum--Now, I can do a complete movie in less than an hour--I am sure it would be faster if I had a DVD Rom drive, and didn't have to use the DVD Writer for both reading and writing--Hope your wife lets you add an external DVD to the new computer!--
    PS--Maybe some other people in this have suggestions?

Whitfield

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hi,

I'll add a few thoughts to Whitfield's fine observations.

You're older computer is definitely on the low end for burning DVDs.

As for the slow rip times it can be attributed to two things, one being the fact that DVD burners a capped to a 2X read speed for DVD videos which accounts for a portion of the slow times. Encoding is a very CPU/RAM intensive operation so, considering your system specs, that will explain the rest of the slow times.

Now to the long burn times. My first thought would be that your drive is in PIO transfer mode. Transfer modes for drives are either some sort of DMA (fast) or PIO (slow) so checking your transfer mode and correcting it accordingly may help. Here's link to check DMA in Win98:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;258757

Another consideration would be whether the data cable to your drive is a 40 pin or 80 pin. I've seen a couple folks resolve issues by switching from a 40 to an 80 pin. Nothing guaranteed but it certainly couldn't hurt.

Let us know how you get on :)

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx