1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overburning...

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by The_Mule, Mar 20, 2002.

1. The_Mule

The_Mule Member

I finally got to try this.

ECDC 4.02 => 4.05 that came with my drive won't.

Unfortunately, my writer isn't supported by EAC. (Ext USB Iomega Zip 650 4x4x6.)

So I tried CDRWin (3.8g). People have told me it supports overburning, but the web site FAQ actually says it doesn't (on 74 min discs anyway).

I'm not greedy. :) Just want around 81 min to copy some of my last Minidiscs over to CD-R. So I tried 81:59 for robustness.

CDRWin did give me a write error at the end of the disc. Uh oh.

I tried to play the last track in my CD-ROM drive. It choked around 80:20 and hung my PC. Not good. :(

I tried it in my Pioneer DV-05 DVD player. Played OK!

I also tried it in my HHB 830 pro burner (which also won't overburn. Or at least I assume it won't; haven't tried it yet). Played OK!

So I just sent in my check to CDRWin's Golden Hawk. Nice software, I also liked the underburn cache it uses.

2. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

I personally dislike CDRWin. I think lacks features and has a bad GUI. I would prefer Nero or DiscJuggler rather.But for overburning, have a look at www.feurio.de . Feurio! is able to test the overburn capacity of a disc.

p.s. Why the extra breaks in between lines?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2002
  3. Ghostdog

Ghostdog Regular member

Nero5 has a warning conserning overburning, tells me that it might even destroy my burner. Has this happened to anyone and what are the risks of it happening?

How much can CD-Rs normally take overburning(MBs/minutes)?

4. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

I have never heard anyone trashing a drive while overburning. Feurio! can tell you the max capcity of the disc. Usually it's 1-2 minutes, but there exceptions that carry a whole lot more data.

5. Ghostdog

Ghostdog Regular member

Thank you.

6. The_Mule

The_Mule Member

Feurio was the 1st shareware/software suggested to me for (over) burning. Doesn't support my drive though. (It might work, just never tried it because my drive is not listed as being supported.)

I WILL NOT USE NERO FOR ANYTHING. I tried some of the free utilities on the site, and they screwed up my PC.

CDRWin may not have the pretiiest interface, but it does what I need it to do. :)

EAC doesn't support my drive for writing, but the "capacity test" did work. Said I could get over 90 min with my drive. But I reckon that the longer you try to overburn a disc, the more chances it won't play in whatever drive you want to play it back with later.