1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking a P4 3.2Ghz

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Waymon3X6, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Hello all. I have been trying to find a program to overclock my P4 3.2ghz. I hve tried systool (which worked perfectly before I reinstalled windows), but now when I open it, it pauses and the comes up with the same old "systool has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

Does anyone know any other program I can try?

Thanks

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Why don't you use the BIOS? Maybe it's different for your kind of processor but thats where people mainly overclocked cpus. I dont think it should be different for Pentium 4s.

3. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

The overclocking options in the BIOS are locked... I was using clcokgen yesturday night and i could only overclock it like 1 more ghz, until the computer froze and I had to manually restart it. I was hoping to get to possibly 4ghz from 3.2, but I guess not. Oh well..

4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Oh that sucks. You didnt build yor own PC? If you did how come your options are locked?

5. OzMick

OzMick Guest

Do you really need to overclock it? Seriously, it isn't needed anymore, if you're doing it for games the CPU doesn't have much affect compared with the GPU, and wouldn't it be easier to just grab another gig of ram and have system wide performance boost? RAM would probably be much more noticible than risking system stability for next to nothing....

6. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

you need to check my sig and tell me its a next to nothing gain.

7. OzMick

OzMick Guest

So what? 10% of a big number is still a big number. Show some benchmarks for the type of applications you typically use, I'll be amazed if you get more than a 2% improvement. Toss in another gig of ram and the number should improve a heck of a lot more (as you're probably making a 30-50% boost in specs, as opposed to 10%), you're in the region of diminishing returns trying to overclock 3+ GHz

8. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Haha or you could took in some more ram and overclock THAT RAM as well. Then that should be a big increase right? When you are going from 2.13 Ghz to 3.4 or more, trust me there is a definite increse. Anyway we are getting off topic, I don't think this is helping the poor fellow you cant overclock his Cpu.

9. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

I've got 2 sticks of 1GB kingston ram and 2 sticks of 512mb kingston ram...

Yeah I built it.... I have no idea why the options are locked though....

Oh well, I guess i really dont need to overclock.... I just want a faster processor to run with my future gecube x1950xt so I dont bottleneck it.

Do you think my P4 3.2ghz will bottleneck it?

Thanks

10. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

You should probably talk to asus about that. They shoudnt lock the options like that.

11. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Yeah, its not a real big issue to me... I just wanted to see if I could get some more juice out of my aging processor... Oh well.

Thanks for the help though guys!!

12. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I think it just might bottleneck it. I'm not too sure but as you put it an "aging" processor and a nice new x1950xt im thinking the processor would bottleneck it just a bit.

13. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

do some reading on the asus forums and see if any of the other bios versions has those options enabled.

my mobo has had 2 newwer bios releases but i still use the most oc friendly version (0401 for mine) as it works well. the later versions have had some of the ocing options dissabled to so you may need to flash to an older version.

just an idea, it might help?

edit

i think that if it does bottleneck it it will only be a small ammount but that would be more with some of the newwest dx10 cards.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2007
  14. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

I'm stuck with agp for now, so I dont have to worry about DX10 cards... For now.