1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

overclocking amd 2800 athlon xp

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by rehmatt, Aug 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rehmatt

rehmatt Member

i have replaced my 2200 with a 2800, but am having trouble overclocking it. with my 2200 i could get 1.8MHz. all i can get with the 2800 is 1.77MHz
    i have an asus a7n8x delus w/ 333MHz fsb 512Mram.
    i can set my cpu external freq from 100- to 250-MHz.
    my ddr reference voltage 2.6- to 2.8-V.
    my cpu freq. mult. gives me 13, 13.5, 14, 6.5, 7.0/15.0, 7.5, 8.0/16.0, 8.5/16.5, 9.0/17.0, 9.5, 10.0, 10.5, 11.0, 11.5, 12.0, 12.5
    i do not have much experience in overclocking, so if anyone can help, please!
    i have tried several combinations, but my post usually says "system failed due to cpu overclocking" or i can get my system to open windows xp-then there is a click and my computer goes off.

2. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

rehmatt,
    what are you trying to overclock your cpu to?
    When I overclocked mine I had to increase the vcore voltage to give the processor core enough power to cope with the extra strain. Obviously when you do this it gets hotter and needs better cooling.
    The origianal xp2800 ran at a 2.25Ghz clock speed but the Barton core version runs at 2.083Ghz.
    Either way your cpu is not running fast enough
    Go into the Bios and make sure your clock speed is set to 166 (333) and I think the multiplier should be on about 12.5

3. rehmatt

rehmatt Member

i could not get the computer to use any mult. when i used 166MHz. which voltage should i use with this setting? maybe i have it wrong

4. rehmatt

rehmatt Member

i forgot, i am just trying to get abetter frq. than my 2200 could give me. 2.08 is all i can get out of my 2800, but it shuts down when it gets to windows

5. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

I believe the Barton core multipliers may be locked anyway. To overclock you will probaly need to increase the clock speed (fsb) in small increments and keep trying it.
    Having said that, is your computer shutting down when you are using it at the standard settings?

6. rehmatt

rehmatt Member

no, it runs fine with the standard settings. all i can get is 1.24MHz when it is set this way

7. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

I forgot to ask what speed of memory are you using.
    If you increased the fsb speed to accomodate the new processor then you may be overclocking your memory by too much which could also cause it to fail.

8. s970022

s970022 Member

i just bought a AMD XP 2800+, the motherboard is ASUS A7V600-X, and i want to overclock the CPU, but i don't know how to, because no matter what frequency i set, the Max speed is 2250MHz, showed with the Asus Probe. is there any one can help me to overclock the CPU to 3000MHz? what voltage I need to set?

9. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

The xp3200 only runs at 2200Mhz.
    Don't go by the numbers with the athlon processors.
    The XP2800 is supposed the be the equivalent of the Pentium 2.8.
    The Athlon xp2800 runs at 2083Mhz.

10. s970022

s970022 Member

so, is there any relationship i can calculate between the number of AMD and the MHz?
    coz now i have run my CPU in 2300MHz, is it dangerous?

11. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

If it's running nice and stable and not causing you any problems then all is well.
    Keep an eye on your temperatures though as the faster it runs then the more heat the processor generates.
    If you have the Asus probe installed then check the temps on that.
    There is no direct connection between the Athlon model numbers and the speed that they run at, unlike the Pentiums.
    If yours is runnig at 2300Mhz then I would be happy and leave it at that.
    What does your computer detect the processor as?
    Mine is an overclocked xp2500 but my computer sees it as a XP3200.

12. s970022

s970022 Member

coz i am downloading Linux 9, so my computer has been running for 3 days, but the CPU temperature is around 38 or 39 and the motherboad is 31. I think it is ok.
    but I want to push the speed higher, so do u think i need to push the vcore voltage?
    and what did u mean: what does your computer detect the processor as? ?

13. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

Click these three to find out what your computer detects your processor as.

1. Control panel
    2. then performance and maintenance.
    3. then 'see basic information about your computer'

Those temps are fine.

14. s970022

s970022 Member

the computer detects the processor as 2.37GHz.
    so what is the problem of it?

15. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

What I mean is, my computer says the processor is running at 2.2Ghz but sees it as an athlon xp3200 because thats the speed that a xp3200 runs at.
    I realise yours is running at 2.3Ghz but what processor does it detect it as?

16. s970022

s970022 Member

ok, then my computer detect it as Athlon(TM) XP, not mentions any model.

17. Okami

Okami Guest

Hi.. im new at this forums stuff :p but well this regards my AMD 2800 >_<.. i was overclocking it and it goes by fps ( 133,166 and 200 ) well i tried the first two.. the 133 overclock gave me 1.66 ghz.. then the 166 gave me 2.08 ghz, but when i tried to do the 200 mhz .. my comp doesnt start >_< nothing shows on the monitor... the monitor light just blinks... i hope i didnt fry it or something.. anyone know what i have to do get it working again? please!!

18. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

Hi Okami and welcome to Afterdawn,

The normal FSB setting for the Athlon XP2800+ is 166 (333). This lets the processor run at 2.08Ghz which is the normal speed.
    To increase the speed of the processor we need to either increase the cpu multiplier (but we cant because its a Barton core and the multiplier will be locked) or increase the FSB.
    If you increase the FSB setting it will overclock everything, not just the processor.
    When I overclocked mine I had to increase the Vcore voltage from 1.65 to 1.8 to give the processor enough power to run at the faster speed.
    You may have the same problem. Either that or your RAM (memory) is being overclocked as well and is not fast enough to cope with it.
    What speed ram are you using? Mine is pc3200 (400DDR)
    If your computer will not re-boot your going to have to clear the c-mos settings on your motherboard.
    Unplug the power supply lead first and then remove the little battery on the motherboard for about 30 seconds. When you put it back in and reboot your computer you will have to change all the settings in your bios. eg. date, time, FSB, etc.
    Let us know how you get on.
    (I got to go to work now so will check back later)

19. Okami

Okami Guest

ah ok i unplugged the powersupply .. and plugged it back in.. it worked heh.. had to changed the fps back to 166 :p heh thanks a lot man =) probably woulda taken me forever just to figure that out hehe.. but my ram is ddr 3200 runs at 400 mhz i believe.. not sure :p but yeah.. thanks again ^_^

20. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

Glad you got it started again.
    If your memory is running at 400mhz like you say then you should be able to overclock a bit.
    Find the Vcore voltage and increase it slightly until your computer is up and running stable.
    The default setting for mine is 1.65volts but to get it to run stable I have to increase it to 1.8volts, this is not a problem as it is within 10% of the original setting. Jump too much and you will fry the processor.
    The more voltage you put into the processor, the hotter it will run, so keep an eye on those temperatures.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.