1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking AMD Athlon XP 2000

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Kamran, May 13, 2004.

1. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Dunno if there is a hard and fast technique for doing this aside from "trial and error" hehe :)

2. Harryford

Harryford Member

Ok this is one thing that i never did understand about people. Why do u spend 50.00 on OCing when you could just upgrade your cpu when u buy it for like 20.00 and you still get the warranty and your computer isnt about to fry. I OCed my 2100+ to 2200+ and the only thing i noticed was the temp went up hella... My advice dont do it if you dont know what your doing and if you are going to dont do it by just like 100mhz... its not worth it

3. Praetor

Becase it doesnt just cost 20 dollars. Consider my syste, XP2500 -- if you think its a 20 dollar upgrade to get to XP3200 ur mistaken. It much more evident with say, the P4EE-3.2 (retail $999) to P4EE-3.4 (retail $1100) --- not a paltry $20 by any stretch of imagination.

4. cozza1987

cozza1987 Guest

Generally if you are going to overclock your computer, you usually have good cooling and you know what you are doing, therefore you are less likely to fry it.

Where are you getting these $20.00 CPU's from, i think i might b interested in some :p

For $20.00 your prob looking at a 200MHz CPU... lol

If you are talking about when you buy a new PC you sometimes get an option to upgrade the CPU, well most Overclockers build their own PC their they dont have that option :p

Regards
    CoZZa
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2004
  5. Praetor

Very true on the first part -- as for the second part, it depends what you're OCing by 100Mhz :p

6. player33

player33 Member

Hello guys im kinda new to the OC arena. I recenlty got an AMD Athlon XP 2000+ which i got from my friend. He doesnt know what core it had (palomino or thoroughbred) therefore i dont know much about it. I have been running it at 1992 MHz (166 x 12) and my RAM is a Hyundai 256 MB DDR 400 RAM running at stock (should be 200 MHz). My cooling is a Coolermaster HAC-V81 X Dream (bloody loud lol) and I have two 8 cm case fans (one in the front and another in the back). My current CPU temps (idle) are 34C (according to ASUSProbe2) and Motherboard temp is 19C (also according to ASUSProbe2). Being the greedy person I am, I tried to overclock it to higher speeds by increasing the clock speeds while keeping the multiplier the same. But as i increase the clock speeds to 200 MHz, the PC fails to POST. So is there any way to overcome this problem? I am thinking about increasing the voltages but havent touched them yet as i heard they can cause irreversible damage if not done properly. Im pretty sure my HSF and case fans should accomodate the extra heat as they seem to be quite low at the moment (even when under load). Anyways, sorry for the long post and thank you in advance.

My specs are:

AMD Athlon XP 2000+ with unknown core (166 x 12)
    ASUS A7N-8X-X Motherboard (all changes done in BIOS)
    Hyundai 256 MB DDR 400 RAM
    Generic 300 Watt PSU
    MSI GeForce FX 5200 with passive cooling
    Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Sound Card
    Quantum Fireball 20 GB HDD at ATA 100
    Sony CRX 145E 8x4x32 CD-RW Drive
    Lite On 52327S 52x32x52 CD-RW Drive (under repairs)
    Generic Case with Coolermaster 80 MM fan at the back and generic fan at the front.

Thanks again :D

7. Praetor

Seems like the Thoroughbred although you can grab a program from http://www.cpuid.com/download/cpu-z-122.zip which will let you know in a jiffy (first tab, look at the box labeled 'Core').

That they can -- the golden rule about voltages (and OCing in general) is to avoid making massive jumps. Adjust by the smallest possible number and run a quick benchmark or two until you "start getting jittery" -- when you get to this stage you need to slow down and run the machine for a week or so to see if its still stable :)

8. player33

player33 Member

Yep it showed up as a Thoroughbred. So are there any ways of overcoming my problem without changing the voltages? I tried to increase the clock speed to 200 again with vcore up to 1.7 but it didnt work. I tried lowering the clock to 180 but it still didnt work as my memory was clocked then multiplied by 120% and therefore running at like 216 MHz, where the computer would beep during POST. So i think by generic RAM is restricting any more overclocking. Can someone confirm this? Another thought was that i unlock the multipliers and give a shot at churning the multipliers up to something like 14. Oh and what is the maximum vcore setting you think i should apply? Thanks again

9. Praetor

Can you give us the full DEFAULT values for the following:
    - CPU Clockspeed & Multiplier (Im assuming, from memory, 1667Mhz at 11.0x?)
    - Memory Speed and timings if possible
    - What voltages are being fed to the CPU and memory?
    - The memory clock ratio (5:4, 4:3, 1:1, etc)

10. Kamran

Kamran Regular member

Praetor how can i find out my memory clock ratio? I have a 256MB DDR-SDRAM PC3200

11. Praetor

Well unless you OCd your memory too, you are running them as PC2700 not PC3200. And for the ratio stuff, it will be on the same tab as where you would go to do the clock and multiplier adjustments

12. Kamran

Kamran Regular member

Praetor thanks for that, hwo can i run them as 3200? will i see a performance increase?

13. Praetor

From XP2500 to XP3200 you'll prolly notice a performance improvement... to be honest I dont know because I never ran this chip at XP2500, I OC'd it on the first powerup :p

14. Kamran

Kamran Regular member

No I ment my Memory from 2700 to 32000 will i notice a difference in performance? How can i go about ding this? Is it just changing some settings?

15. Praetor

1. Depends on the stuff you do and how long you have been runnning it at PC2700. You have to try it to know
    2. Yes its just a setting
    3. I need to update my sig...

16. Wuggish

Wuggish Member

if my ram is ddr266 an the athlon 2000+ is 266mhz does tht meen i wud need to overclok both of em

17. Kamran

Kamran Regular member

Ok praetor I changed it from auto ddr 333 is that correct is it running at 3200 now?

18. Praetor

I dunno what you did before but 333 IS PC2700. I'd advise you to do some backround research before fiddling with the clock speeds ... crap gets fried that way.

If you spent the time to type properly and clearly state the question then perhaps a useful answer would be forthcoming. As it is I dont know wtf ur talking about.

19. Wuggish

Wuggish Member

ok then. i found the answer anyway lol

20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

This setting feels familiar, and yet! I can't quite remember what it was. Oh! If you don't know what you are doing then find out first unless you have lots of backup dollars.