1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking AMD Athlon XP 2000

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Kamran, May 13, 2004.

1. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

What settings?

2. Moylan

Moylan Member

[/quote]LMAO I did that last summer!!!! I still couldnt keep the temp <50ºC tho (XP2100 under stress in 30°C+ weather) ... used a damn nice superfan too! One point tho: you wouldnt need to take off both sides of the case would you? ;-)[/quote]

Yeah well if you dont take the other side of the case off, the air doesnt really go in for some reason.

3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Sorry Praetor, setting as in environment, place, or in this case thread. There was another thread with someone else overclocking his AMD and I of course told him more or less what he asked for. You recommended that he proceed with caution, and after I gave it a little consideration, I agreed with you.

4. Praetor

When i started 'developing' this section of the forum i made an attempt to try to avoid the problems of the rest fo the place: people asking the same questions over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and .. over again. Hence I started would i figured would be some common sticky threads yet lo and behold -- they questions come elsewhere :p So yeah... the 'setting' does seem familiar :p

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Did I miss familiar and boring too? LOL, I understand repetition, is a deadening noise that is difficult to shake off when you have to be there.

6. Praetor

Especially after i went through the effort of developing the stickies as they were ... understandable if they werent there but c'mon! (anyways, enough rant from me)

7. player33

player33 Member

Hey guys sorry for the late reply as i live in Australia and im not usually awake at 3 am lol.

Anyways here are the stock settings:

Processor: 133*12.5 i think as i have never ran it at stock
    Memory: By SPD (whatever that means)
    200 MHz Clock
    Active Precharge Delay - 8
    RAS to CAS Delay - 4
    RAS to Precharge Delay - 4
    CAS Latency - 3T
    VCore: 1.600 V
    Mem Frequency: BIOS says auto settings. But in ZCPU it says it is in ration of 5:6.

Anyways thanks again for the help guys.

8. Praetor

So is 200 your stock speed or not? hehe.

I think so too and it might be worthwhile to see if you can't adjust the memory/system ratio at in favor of the system (i.e., less than 1, smaller number on the left) -- this would allow you to OC your system without OCing the memory by as much.

Your memory timings 3-4-4-8 if that's stock at 200Mhz then i think you are correct in stating your memory to be the bottleneck however you might want to try to loosen those settings up (increasing the values) to allow for a tad more memory OC headroom

9. player33

player33 Member

Hey guys,

Well i checked the RAM again through ZCPU this time and it said 200 MHz so yeah it should be running at full speed. Another possiblity i was considering was unlocking the processor using the superglue and conductive paint technique posted on various sites, though im still a bit unsure as it seems a tad bit risky for a noob like me to be playing with the actual processor itself.

Either way ill try and reduce the memory timings and ratios and maybe increase the VCore a tad from the 1.600 V and try my luck yet again.

10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Only increase the voltage if you need to, to keep your system stable. An idea over clock requires little to no increaed voltage. I've overclocked my 2.8 @ 3.149 using CAS 2 Corair Xtreme PC 3200. My memory settings (manual) are 2-3-2-6 and my need for increased voltage is none, I'm using the default settings. My mainboard is an Asus P4PE , which allows me to increase my front side bus in 1 mghz increments and I also have control over my PCI bus speeds which means that they are not overclocked with the front side bus adjustments. Add a high speed salman fan with copper heatsink and all is well.

11. Praetor

You mean raise the timings :p Reducing them would make the ram more "sensitive" to clock speed changes -- which is why i said "loosen" your timings :)

12. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

If you want to reduce your memory timings then you can pretty well give up over clocking your CPU. The other option is to buy new memory that is made to run on a wider front side bus with lower settings. when you lower the numbers on memeory timings you are actually increasing the stress palced on it. for instance my timing of 2-3-2-6 places a graater demand on my memory than does the 3-4-4-8 settings you have. sometimes to over clock the CPU one has to reduce stress on their memory by effectively underclocking it. This is what Praetor is recommending you do.

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Here are some recent corsair memory specs, now these can be over-clocked

TwinX1024-3200XLPRO XMS3200 1024MB 2-2-2-5
    TwinX1024-3200XL XMS3200 1024MB 2-2-2-5
    TwinX1024-3200XLPT XMS3200 1024MB 2-2-2-5
    CMX512-3200XL XMS3200 512MB 2-2-2-5
    CMX512-3200XLPT XMS3200 512MB 2-2-2-5

14. player33

player33 Member

hello guys,

well i was playing with the settings today and i was finally able to clock it up to 200 MHz today but it was restricted to 11 multiplier. Although it posted after it loaded windows it just rebooted. kept on doing that. not stable at the moment. I tried increasing the VCORE to 1.75 but that still didnt work. So now im running at 12.5*170 with memory at 1:1 and VCORE at 1.700. So do you guys have any advice on how to make it stable at 200 MHz clock? should i increase the VCORE or increase the ram timings? Oh yeah i was also thinking is there any way for me to increase the multiplier over 12.5? i choose 13, 14 and 15 multipliers but it turns out that they are actually multipleirs like 5, 6, or 7. any ideas? Anyways, thanks for the help guys.

15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

It might not be your CPU that's causing the problem, it could be your memory or a piece of hardware. If I had to guess I would bet that it's your memory. Most people that are into over clocking buy with that in mind. For instance, when my board (Asus P4PE)was released it was rated for a 533 mhz frontside bus. The latest bios made it capable of 800 meg front side bus but it also required memory to support it, in effect I had to overclock it to get to 800. Memory has the wonderful atrribute of being back compatible.

I'm a school teacher in an inner city school and I locate or solicit older pc parts (not to old) and build pcs for them for free. All they have to do to earn it is to demonstrate consistently good conduct over 9 weeks. The last one I built had a 500 mhz celeron which means a 66 mhz front side bus. I added 256 megs of CAS3 PC 133 (micron) which is far faster than the PC is rated for. Even though it was CAS 3 because it was being under used, I had no problem setting the memory timings to 2-2-2-5. In your case by over clocking you are asking the memory to go beyond spec which it may not be able to do. For you to succeed you may have to spend a few bucks on some PC3200 CAS2 memory (see my corsair list in this thread, it all qualifies).

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)[/small]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2004
  16. Praetor

player33: your system just might not be able to run at 200Mhz .... this OC business is pretty hardware specific ;-)

17. player33

player33 Member

hello all,

yeah i guess you guys are right my ram just isnt cut for it. but i shouldnt be complaining as i got it for a birthday present from my friends :D Anyways ill try one last time by increasing the memory timings and a tad bit more in the VCORE :D. If it dont work then ill just settle for my 2600+ at 170MHz x 12.5 :D Oh yeah do you guys know why I cant get any multipliers higher that 12.5? Is it because i need to unlock the L1 bridges (shouldnt be as im able to select my multiplier). Anyways thanks for the replies guys its been very useful, and Praetor that CPU Z tool is very useful. Thanks again.

18. Praetor

What mobo are you running?

19. player33

player33 Member

Hello there,

Yeha my motherboard is an Asus A7N8X-X motherboard. Its single channel with BIOS revision 1007 (dated 10/07/2003. RAM is in first slot.

Thanks again.

20. Kamran

Kamran Regular member

PLAYER WHAT COOLING are you using?