1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking AMD Athlon XP 2000

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Kamran, May 13, 2004.

1. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

OK! it's definitely not the mobo since it's the same board that Praetor and my wife are using. Keep the CPU or get a faster one, get a high speed fan ($30) dump the ram and get corsair CX3200 CAS2 or greater (greater is better for over clocking) in matching pairs for dual channel memory. Then slowly crank her up and then stress test each step.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)[/small]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2004
  2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Since you are running Single Channel you prolly wouldt notice that much of a difference between PC27 and PC32 -- i didnt. Heck i didnt notice with Dual Channel (except with benchmarks of course). If you feel like spending some money, upgrade the proc to a Barton before you upgrade the memory (since the next time you make a major upgrade you will HAVE to make a memory upgrade anyways and i am guessing you are trying to extend the life of your system a bit without emptying your wallet?)

3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

In my view considering the board, both the CPU and RAM should be considered for upgrading. It's true that if he gets a faster CPU (barton core) that his system will be a little faster and his ram should behave within spec but neither will he be able to over clock them successfully without unacceptable compromises. The AMD 2500/2600 plus and a high speed single stick of 256 megs of low latency ram ram sells for significantly less tha a C-note each. If he's going to do on,e then he ought to do both.

4. Praetor

Valid points I was just considering budget constraints -- if he can ONLY do one, then it should be the RAM (hey! i'm a student i know all about budgets -- especially the small type) :p

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

You spend so much time servicing the forum that it's hard to imagine that you have another life. LOL

6. Praetor

LOL yea -- well I'm kinda the caretaker/guardian for this section of the forum -- and no way in hell am i gonna let the rampant crap that occurs on some of the other section occur here (i.e., people asking without reading etc).

7. player33

player33 Member

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies. I've decided to keep my current settings as they seem to be quite stable. Ive pretty much given up on the 200 FSB as it requires better RAM. Anyways, thanks for the help guys i greatly appreciate it.

8. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

You've probably made the right choice for now there is always tomorrow.

9. Praetor

Can't stress this enough: take it slow. Dont make 500Mhz jumps at a time or you wont be too happy

10. D4FT

D4FT Member

ehhhh...
    I gots an AMD Athlon XP 2400
    running 1.80Ghz
    temp aroun 35 - 42 degrees
    wondering if that is good...and if not...inform me on how to make it better

11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

The temperature is fine. If you wanted to know something else then you need to rephrase your question and provide more information as to what you have and what want.

12. Praetor

D4FT
    That's a sweet temperature.... I would imagine you are running a TbredA (not sure if the Palo's went that high). As far as overclocking goes, you should be able to push ~100-130MHz without a crazy jump in the proc temp (i'd guess 42-50 which is a tad high but not enough to warrent serious concern). If you want to go much higher than that then you might want to consider a more effective cooling solution (see http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/81431 for ideas and questions).

13. kickxs

kickxs Member

Hey jus a quick q- i have (v old) palemero athlon xp 1900 - runs at about 1.6Ghz

I tried to oc, by uping the fsb, so now it is at aroud 1.7Ghz. Is this the best I can do? I have good air cooling from solid cooper coolmaster beast- so will i need to unlock the chip to get any more out of it?/ or what else am i going to need to do?

Yea I know is old but before i buy new graphics i want to make sure trusted ole pc is up to it.

Thanks for interest

14. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I believe you're referring to the AMD Palomino XP1900. From what I remember from reading aboutit, it's not the easiest chip to overclock. I never had a chance to play with this one but here's an article from Tomshardware that might give you the information you're looking for. Even with good cooling, it's wise to be cautious.

http://www4.tomshardware.com/howto/20011112/

15. pieman

pieman Regular member

D4FT...strange.....ive got an xp2400 and it runs at 2.02ghz!!with no oc, and xp recognises it as an xp2000!!

16. Praetor

Here's the lowdown on the Palomino XP1900:
    Clockspeed: 1600Mhz
    FSB: 133 (266DDR)
    Multiplier: 12.0x
    Process 0.18 micron
    Core Voltage 1.75V

As for overclocking, what chipset/mobo do you have? The VIA chipsets dont offer much in terms of OCing perhaps with the exception of the KT400. The SIS chipset definitely doesn't have much headroom but the OC chipset of choice is the nVida nForce2 series of chipsets.

Depending on the mobo and cooling (and stability of the RAM and pci etc), you should be able to touch 1750Mhz with some work (and possibly 1800Mhz with some hard work). I'd reccommend you leave the clock alone (or even downclock it for bit) and try pushing the multiplier as much as you can, probably up to 13.0x and then start upping the FSB. You should be able to hit 140Mhz no sweat and 150Mhz without too much difficulty. After that its anyone's guess, you may have to up the voltage a bit here and there to keep the system stable.

Note that the Palomino XP1900, since it was built on the older process only offers a modest amount of overclocking and heat does become a serious concern (especially after upping the voltage) but with a good HSF you shouldn't have a problem

17. Sting9

Sting9 Member

Hey all
    I've read the whole forum cause I wanna overclock my 1800+. I've got a couple of questions I hope someone can answer
    1 - How should I apporach oc'ing? Should I first change my FSB, the RAM timings? Or both at the same time?
    2 - What should I use to test my system and benchmark it? I'm using PCMark04
    3 - Define stable. What things should I look for to stop going higher? And will I always see these things (if I increment slowly) before I damage my sytem, or will my system potentially be damaged without a chance?
    4 - Any ideas what max FSB I should go to?
    5 - My temp at 150mhz FSB is 55 degrees under load.Is this OK? Is there really a difference if I get it to 65 degrees? Another thing is my BIOS reports the right temp, but my PC Alert4 software gives a wrong CPU temp and a right mobo temp
    6 - What CPU should I but - a 2400+ 266(TB) or a 2600+ 333(Barton)? Which one has more oc potential?

18. Kamran

Kamran Regular member

Get Barton 2500+ and get a wicked cooling system and you could overclock that to the extreme i have seen people overclock it 3700+ its amazing! Your temps are too high u need better cooling

19. Praetor

You're probably best off changing the multiplier and then the FSB

Whatever the hell you like! :) A lot of people put faith in 3DMark2001 but as of late Ive been starting to think that it doesn't give a true indication of your "day to day" performance of your comp.

Stable typically means the machine boots. And doesn't reboot at random. If you increment slowly and test thoroughly at each stage then you will know when you are approaching your system's limit

Depends on your mobo and cooling

The chips can handle up to ~90ÂșC so you'll be fine. Not that it's a good temperature to hange out with but it can handle up to that. Really it depends on the process size of your chip. As for the inaccurate temperatures, I've recently encountered that problem (although it was a minor issue, just the cpu/mobo temps were swapped) with PCWizard but after a couple emails, I have the updated DLL so just email the dude who wrote that program and let them know about it.

By all means go for the Barton

20. Moylan

Moylan Member

I was wandering how voltage changes are supposed to change performance, i did a benchmark when i changed it and it wasn't any different from before original was 1.6 changed 2 1.75

Last edited: Jun 12, 2004