1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking Guys please assist

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by 80s, Jan 29, 2008.

1. 80s

80s Member

Hi there,
    I’m new to OC and was wondering if any of you knowledgeable people could assist me ? :D

Specs:
    P5KC (BIOS: 0804)
    2.20Ghz Conroe dual (x11)
    2x 1Gb DDR2-800 GEIL CL 4-4-4-12

I’ve been reading up on the OC scene and attempted to OC my Conroe.

I run the Prime95 for about 20-30 mins after each change and 250mhz (2.76Ghz) seems fine and I ran 3DMark03 which was also fine.

The Problem
    I’ve upped the FSB now to 250mhz, anything above this either doesn’t load into windows (restarting) or when it does, restarts after running stress tests.

As I’m new to this, I’m guessing some settings need to be corrected in order to allow me to OC further.

CPU FSB: 250Mhz (multiplier just left on auto x11)
    RAM: 375Mhz
    PCIe: 100Mhz

My Settings are below:

AI Overclocking Manual
    CPU Ratio Control Auto
    FSB Frequency 250
    PCIE Frequency 100
    DRAM DDR2-625Mhz
    DRAM Timing Control manual
    CAS# Latency 5
    RAS to CAS# Delay 5 DRAM Clocks
    RAS Percentage 5 DRAM Clocks
    RAS# Activate Percentage15 DRAM Clocks
    TWR Auto
    TRFC Auto
    TWTR Auto
    TRRD Auto
    TRTP Auto
    DRAM Static Read ControlAuto
    DRAM Dynamic Write Con Auto

Transaction Booster Auto
    Clock Over-Charging ModeAuto

CPU Spread Spectrum Disabled
    PCIE Spread Spectrum Disabled

CPU Voltage Auto
    CPU Voltage Reference Auto
    CPU Voltage Damper Auto
    CPU PLL Voltage Auto
    DRAM Voltage 1.9v
    FSB Termination Voltage Auto

Temperatures Haven’t changed as of yet, both my thermal controller Probes give about 29-31C readings, of course these aren’t accurate but it gives me an idea of what to compare it with. (Using an ASUS Heatsink with a Thermaltake 80mm fan capable of 80CFM)

Also, I haven’t quite grasped the RAM Ratios, also, would it be advisable to run the ram at 4-4-4-12 as to 5-5-5-15 ?

Here's some screenys:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Well I would suggest a aftermarket cooler, if you're running stock. Try adding some voltage to get the higher clock (NOT A LOT THOUGH!)

Also, keep in mind that older pentium Ds dont overclock well and do produce a lot of heat. What are you using to monitor the temps?

3. 80s

80s Member

Hi Waymon3X6,
    thanks for the reply.

the cooler im using is an Asus one with 6 heatpipes, combination of copper and aluminum. Anyways, theres no problem with the cooler, I have enough CFM to keep heat down.

I have 2 thermal probes (one thermaltake and one that came with the case) not programmes.

Its a Core 2 duo.

How much of an increase should i up on the voltage ?

4. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Go in very small increments. Do not go above 1.60v however...

Is 1.24v the idle for the chip or load? If it's load, try going to 1.26, or 1.28 and try your new FSB settings.

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Ray, it's not a Pentium D. It's a conroe core, not a Core 2 Duo, but still a conroe based CPU.

80s, I wouldn't take the voltage over 1.5. Also your memory is SLOW. You're running slower than stock speeds AND loosing up the timings. Swtich it back to 4-4-4-12 ASAP.

Try this. Give your memory 2.2v. switch that multi to 9x and your FSB to 355. Also does your board have a memory multiplier? Change that to 2.4x.

6. 80s

80s Member

Before you guys posted, I managed to get it up to 3ghz with x10 multiplier and 300FSB.

Increased the Voltage in increaments until it could load windows and stop crashing straight away on the stress test. Vcore is set to 1.38v at the moment.

managed to get the small FFT stress test to run for an hour without crashing, I stopped it and went to bed as it was getting late, stressing again now with Prime95, hopefully it'll run for 4 hours as it is and that will proberly do for a while.

Ram is now 4-4-4-12 with 2v (Geil state 1.9-2.0 but ive heard 2.1v easy)