1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking Help

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by bennasher, Aug 1, 2007.

1. bennasher

bennasher Regular member

Ok, Ok, i know what your all thinking... thers is a sticky guide, and i know. But in that sticky guide i skimmed threw a few pages and it mostly about what people have done ect.
    What i want to know is what actually IS overclocking (im new to this!) and how is it done with standard gfx cards, i mean is it software based or what?
    Thanks for any help.

2. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Refer to your MB manual. If you cant find it look for it on the net or just tell me what it is and I will find it for you. I do know this is done in the BIOS in the CPU section usualy. called different things on diferint MBs. there you will find the MGHz and voltage settings. You want to play with the MGHz settings. Be carful though if you set it to high for your processor the system will not boot. Recovery from that will be found in the manual. Consider getting a new fan befor you start as the processor will get hotter than normal.

-Del

3. jazbebies

jazbebies Guest

I'll give it a go.

Overclocking is when you increase the performance of pc component such as the processor from the manufacturers setting. for an example say you bought a pentium 4 processor from a shop and its running at a speed of 3GHZ , Its possible to increase the speed of it if wanted to 3.4ghz by adjusting the settings in the bios so that it can run at a higher clock rate.

But the critical thing with doing this is the heat generated by the component. As you increase, the processors temperature will rise and this is where cooling is the main and most important element to preventing this.

For graphics cards, its similar but you can overclock both the processor core speed and also the memory speed by use software utilitys running on your operating system e.g. xp

By doing the above your warranty will not cover you if your components was to become faulty, as the manufacturers set thier own clock speed for a reason. They test the capabilities of the part and certify it for that given speed.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2007