1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking My AMD 2200XP+ (Need Help i'm confused)

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by armitage_, Sep 6, 2004.

1. armitage_

armitage_ Member

ok here's whats happening with me
    i have an amd 2200 xp (which is a 1.4ghz)
    asus a7n8xe-deluxe
    512gb of pc3200 kingston 400mhz
    ati 9800pro
    and i think that all the info u should need.
    heres the problem i went into the bios and changed the setting from optimal to aggessive which speeds up the mother board then i changed the cpu external frequence from 100mhz to 133mhz , the frequency multiplyer from 13.5 to 14 and the cpu voltage from 1.650v to 1.700v
    this change my computer from 1.4ghz to 1.8ghz (i saw the change when u right click on my computer and click properties) and the temp of the cpu when up from 55c to 62c so it is really getting hotter BUT it reads as amd 2200xp settings did not change even tho the computer is really processing faster how do i change it 2 go faster?

so the problem really is if the processor went from 1.4ghz to 1.8ghz why is it still 2200xp? how come it didn't go up? this is my first attempt at overclocking my cpu can someone help?

2. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

Hello armitage_

The Athlon XP2200+ processor that you have is the 'palomino' version. When these were first launched they ran at a clock speed of 1.47Ghz. The clock speed was later increased to 1.73Ghz.
    About 8 months after the launch of the 'palomino', AMD launched the 'thoroughbred' version, which ran at a clock speed of 1.8Ghz.
    Your computer detects your processor as an XP2200+ because the 1.8GHz that you have overclocked it to is the normal speed that the later models run at.
    If you got it to run at 2Ghz then it would probably show up as an XP2400+, if you could see it through the smoke.

3. armitage_

armitage_ Member

well thanks for the info but i do have a thoroughbred processor and now that u told me this it makes no sence y this is happening. heres a pic of what cpuid says
    [​IMG]

This is what direct-x diag says
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2004
  4. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

What's happening is this:

These programs are picking up an Athlon processor thats running at 1.8Ghz and has a FSB of 266. They are then coming to the conclusion that the only athlon processor that runs at 266FSB at 1.8Ghz is the XP2200+ Thoroughbred.
    If you revert back to 200FSB and slow it down to run at 1.4Ghz again these programs will identify it as a 'palomino'.
    Give it a try.

5. armitage_

armitage_ Member

well 2 tell u the truth, i was tring 2 set it back to its original speed and was haveing hell. i set it back 2 the way it was originally but it refused to pick up at xp2200+ it was saying just 1.4 then i changed more things and it got worse 950mhz, 712mhz and 515mhz and even the computer talking saying "system failer due to cpu overclocking" so it was getting crazy so instead i just turned it back too the overclocking setting that were working at 2200+ and i got mad so i started 2 play doom 3 to kill stuff. then just for fun i change the setting 2 see how bad it usually performs at 1024x768 on ultra settings but the thing is it ran really well i mean the lowest it droped was 24fps and an average of 49fps which is really good considering the power of my computer.

but thx a bunch for all the advice i understand a lot better about overclocking the cpu but i now gotta get better cooling since the average heat of the cpu is 62c and i always wanted a better case for lan gaming so i'm looking at the thermal take's lanfire case, cuz it has a fan over the cpu and its 4 kg (8.8 lb) so its really light and really important a *lock* to stop ppl from stealing stuff like cd's from the drives. i'm just wondering how much will it help cooling i already have a volcano 10 cpu fan once i can get it under 60c

6. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

This is my processor showing as an XP3200+.
    It's actually an XP2500+ but because it performs exactly the same as an XP3200+ then thats what my computer believes it is.

[​IMG]
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    Athlon XP2500+Barton OC'd to XP3200+ running at 2.2Ghz
    Asus A7N8X-X
    1Gig 400DDR Ram
    160Gb Seagate Barracuda[/small]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2004
  7. armitage_

armitage_ Member

i wanna buy a new processor next month but i wanna overclock it to 3400+ what kinda processor should i get and what kinda cooling? what kinda cooling do u have it must be amazing 2 do what u r doing cuz that a lot of overclocking 2 the chip you've done

8. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

The highest rated Athlon Xp 32 bit processor is the xp3200.
    The XP 3400 are the new 64bit processors.

The best value in the standard XP processors is the XP2500. The only difference between the XP2500 and the XP3200 is the FSB. The XP2500 is 333Fsb and the XP3200 is 400Fsb.
    The price difference between the two can be as much as £80.00
    All I had to do with my XP2500 was change the FSB in my bios settings to 200 (400) and the computer picked it up as an XP3200. I did have a few problems at first trying to get the Vcore voltage right but it's sortd now and I don't get any problems at all.

As for the cooling issue, I've got a standard coolermaster heatsink and fan rated up to XP3200, (nothing fancy), a case fan at the front drawing air in, another one at the back blowing the warm air out and an exhaust fan lower down at the back.
    My 450watt power supply has two fans which helps with the case cooling as well.

9. armitage_

armitage_ Member

well the store i buy my part from does not carry the 2500xp but it does carry the 2600xp i hope that can work

i also wanna change my processor fan from a the thermal take volcano 10 to the volcano 12 but both of them support the 3400xp processor. my case has 1 intake fan 1 exaust fan and well the 1 on the psu but last night the psu blowed so now i'm using a 350watt psu but on friday i'll go buy a 450watt cuz u have that 1 and it works for overclocking

u also said u had voltage problems what would i have 2 set it for as well as the cpu multiplier the fsb and well ne thing else i would need to set.

oh i also have another problem i have 2x256mb dual channel pc3200 (400mhz) and 1x512mb (266mhz) i'm guessing i will have 2 take it out when i overclock it right because 266mhz is to slow

and 1 last question u have a motherboard that can take fsb 400mhz but the processor is really a 2500xp 333mhz when u overclocked it did the processor speed increase to 400mhz fsb? or is it just your motherboard going at 400mhz or 333mhz to match the true speed of the processor

10. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

The xp2500 is a better processor than the xp2600 because of the L2 Cache.

You may not have any problems with the voltage. One of the moderators on this site has the same set up as me and he didn't have to increase his Vcore voltage at all. It depends on the individual computer.
    If it does cause problems then increase the Vcore voltage a little bit at a time until it runs ok. You won't be able to adjust the multiplier because they are locked now before they leave the factory.

I would. The 266mhz memory will be overclocked too far and will probably prevent your computer from booting. Take it out and sell it.

The only practical difference between the XP2500 and the XP3200 is the FSB speed. If you set the FSB to 400Mhz then the processor will run as an XP3200 saving you about £80.00

11. armitage_

armitage_ Member

thx for answering all the question but dam i didn't realize that the chips have been comming outta the factory locked cuz that really suxx. if i but a 3000xp would i be able 2 at least set the fsb up to 400mhz?

12. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

The XP3000 runs at 2.16Ghz when the Fsb is set to 333mhz and a multiplier setting of 13X.
    13x166 = 2158mhz (rounded up to 2.16Ghz for convenience)
    Now, bearing in mind that the multiplier is locked at 13X, if you go into the bios and change the FSB to 200 (400mhz) then we now have 13X200 = 2600mhz or 2.6Ghz.
    This is a hell of a big jump from 2.16Ghz and could possibly cause you all sorts of problems.
    Ideally you could change the user settings on the Asus motherboard to 'user defined' and just increase the FSB in small increments to see how you get on.
    But watch those temperatures.
    Of course, the xp3000 is more expensive than the XP2500 which is kind of defeating the object.

13. armitage_

armitage_ Member

well if the 2500xp now comes locked from the factory it does not make ne sense 2 buy it. i might as well just save up some more and buy the 3000xp and don't overclock it cuz the jump is a hell of a lot for the processor