1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

overheating?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by jaycross, Jul 3, 2007.

1. jaycross

jaycross Guest

so about a week ago my cpu fan stopped working and now everytime i turn on my computer it stays on for about 5 mintues then it shuts off. now logically thinking i would think that this would be because the computer has a saftey feature that would make it shut down after it reached a certain temp. but i dont know... now that is basically my question to you, do computers shut down after reaching a certain temp ot not? and if not what do you think my problem may be? new cpu or motherboard? or will it be as simple as buying a new heatsink and being on my way? thanks in advance for any insight you can give me on this matter. i would like to have my computer running again as soon as possible.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

buy a new cpu heatsink fan assembly as the cpu has a thermal switch safety built into it.

3. jaycross

jaycross Guest

thanks thats what i was thinking but you have taken a little bit of the worry of my chest. also do you think it would be worth it to go the route of liqud cooling?

4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Your fan is very important in keeping your system cool. Passive heatsinks just dont do it anymore. Post some info about your system, and whether you overclock or not. Many computers have this safety feature so you dont damage your cpu. Just replacing the fan should do it if it was working fine before. If your CPU did get hot before and you just didnt want to get better cooling, but now you do then there is pretty good air cooling out there.

5. jaycross

jaycross Guest

ok heres a little info on my system if it helps.. im running an AMD 2800+ cpu, a winfast motherboard (not sure of the exact model), 250watt power supply, 80 gig HD, 1 gig of ram (not sure what kind), and i dont think im missing anything essential but if i am tell me and ill be sure to post it. its 4 a.m. and ive been up recording with my friends so im not exactly on top of everything... but i am considering goin water cooled... not sure yet though

thanks for the help everyone

6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Is your fan currently working? You should look at the Tuniq Tower 120, it is about 50 dollars and is a excellent cooler.

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

don't go water cool as not worth it in your system.

8. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah that Tuniq is probably overkill for you. Watercooling to me is just too complicated,so I am still using good ol' air cooling.

9. pcrepair

pcrepair Regular member

get a BLUE ORB cooler only £20 and it's pretty as well as doing a darn good job

10. jaycross

jaycross Guest

ok im seriously thinking about getting a tuniq tower 120 just becuase when it comes to coolin my computer i dont mind any overkill.. but what im curious about is this thing is freakin huge and wieghs almost 2 lbs... is my mother board gunna struggle to hold this thing or am i worrying about nothing? i get paid thursday and then i can get this thing shipped and FINALLY HAVE MY COMPUTER WORKING AGAIN!! anyway i would just kinda like some reveiws on the tuniq tower. to make sure its gunna work with my cpu and everything... i wouldnt wanna get it and then it not fit... once again my cpu is an AMD 2800+.

thanks in advance for any advice you can give :D

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Would it even fit your processor?
    That's definitely overkill for a 2800+, I'd just recommend getting a better heatsink, like the Arctic Cooling Copper Silent2l