1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overlapped I/O Operation is in Progress error

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by rickycow, Aug 10, 2004.

1. rickycow

rickycow Member

This forum's a great resource in my bid to mastering this here NEC DVD player. However - I have searched the archives and I don't think this one's been asnswered elsewhere, though please point me if you think otherwise...

Getting the error message "Overlapped I/O Operation is in Progress". Someone suggested checking the Enable Overlapped I/O box in Preferences, but this option is greyed out for some reason... any ideas ?

For info - I have a slooow 400hz processor running W98SE. Someone else suggested that such systems were no good for copying DVDs, yet Nero (which I haven't got) suggests it can be used with W98SE. Should I just give up ?

kind regards, Rick

2. rickycow

rickycow Member

Using the DVD Dycrypter program it suggests I have a FAT32 hard drive not supporting files > 4gb - is this causing my problem ? Can I just over-ride this minimum value somehow ? I have over 12gb free on the hard drive

3. colw

colw Active member

It could be the cause of your problem if you are using ISO mode.
    To overcome this try ripping in VOB format - this should overcome the 4GB limitation the FAT32 imposes.

4. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Well it's good it's greyed out, because I suggested you uncheck it in a previous thread.

5. rickycow

rickycow Member

Woohoo ! A crystal clear copy of Marillion's Piss Up in a Brewery now playing on the telly - first copied DVD in the bag...

many thanks to Flip, ScubaPete and others on this forum for helping me to this momentous point - my life has stepped to a new level !

And for the record - done on an old pc with 400mhz processor, running W98SE and solely using DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter (very nearly converted my hard disk from FAT32 ScubaPete - fortunately I read the rest of the thread before finishing download...)

Rick

6. mereold

mereold Member

Rick, im not sure what u did to get past that i/o thing. please reply and let me know....i just had that problem with Xmen volume 1 of the 4 disk collectors pack. I have also had this problem with Harry potter movies. Please help

7. rickycow

rickycow Member

Not really sure what the I/O Overlap message means, but I always get it in DVD Shrink if I try and read the DVD direct. I got round it by using DVD Decrypter in File Mode, which created the DVD files on my hard drive. I then chose the Files option in Shrink, clicking on these newly created files, which seems to work ok - a bit round the houses, please advise anyone if they can see why I get the error and they know a quicker way around it.

From here I used DVD Decrypter to burn the DVD once Shrink had done its stuff - kept getting a few error messages but I ignored these and it still seems to have burnt ok. Many error messages seems to be due to the wife using the DVDs as a chopping board for the vegetables - a quick dip in the washing up bowl seems to get rid of them...

8. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

rickycow, have you tried unchecking "Enable burning with Nero" in DVD Shrink "Edit >> Preferences >> File I/O" menu?

9. rickycow

rickycow Member

its unchecked ddlooping, though I get the same error message whether its checked or not.

Strangely in the same area of Preferences, the option "Enable Overlapped I/O" is greyed out - could this be a clue as to what's causing my problem ? If it weren't I could just tick it...

mereold - if yours isn't greyed out that could solve your problem - look in Preferences under File I/O

10. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

rickycow, what about "Read 32KB blocks..."?
    Have you tried with this option checked?

11. rickycow

rickycow Member

ahh - now that's got rid of the "Overlapping I/O" error message, though not sure what the tick does.

However, this time DVD Shrink gets through about 3% of the analysing process then comes back with the simple error message Cannot read D:/

The DVD is clean, and can be read ok by DVD Decrypter, so this mystery continues... any idea what's going on, and how I can overcome it ?

12. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

No idea from me I'm affraid.

13. rickycow

rickycow Member

thanks anyway ddlooping - I'll percevere with using DVD Decrypter to convert it all to files first, though if anyone can spot what's happening above I'd be most appreciative...

14. rickycow

rickycow Member

Y'know the more I experiment with these programs the more I realise the sensitivity of the source DVDs. I've repeated the process with a brand new DVD and it works happily. DVD Shrink seems to be a lot fussy about older DVDs than DVD Decrypter for some reason, as if DVD Shrink will only work if the whole disk is readable, whereas DVD Decrypter is happy to overlook the odd scratch here and there

15. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

DVD Shrink is indeed very picky as to what it's being "fed". ;)