1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

overuse of dvd burner

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mgrosecl, Sep 2, 2004.

1. mgrosecl

mgrosecl Member

can anyone tell me if its bad to burn 5 or 6 dvds in a row, will this wear out the laser, is there a time frame you should wait between each burn.......also does anyone know the average lifetime of a dvd burner. sorry so random. thanks for any help

2. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya,
    Perfectly safe with decent equipment - heat is your enemy in this instance
    Not so you would notice - heat is the enemy
    All depends on the heat generated
    As long as you are not overheating it, or running it while hot, the expected lifetime of a decent burner will far exceed its useable life (faster drives, media etc will make it unfeasible to continue with the old stuff).

For example:

I have a Pioneer A04 that I have used many times per day, almost every day, since mid-2002 (over 2 years).

All I have had to do is clean it every few months and update the firmware to support the faster media.

I expect it will contine giving good service for at least another 2 years, with looking after:

BUT, any drive (decent or cheap-n-nasty) will fail quickly IF:

you run it too hot for too long,
    you don't maintain (clean) it...

How long do you think you will continue to use your current burner before you want to change it for the latest, flashy, sooper-dooper speed demon drive??

Hope this helps...

3. mgrosecl

mgrosecl Member

thank you....very helpful